The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to "build" a kit gun. Have any of you guys messed with any of the kits from Lyman? I am looking at a 54 cal. flintlock kit. Or do you think that i would be better off buying seperate components and building a custom one. Thanks for the input guys!!

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Have you looked at places like Track of the Wolf, TVM, and Pecatonica? I have wanted to dip my toe into building as well....and have considered looking at kits they offer, which can be less or more involved, depending on your budget and preferences.

Still not sure where I want to start, but those are some ideas for you to check out.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
There is "building" a kit and "BUILDING" a kit!

A factory gun kit such as a TC, Lyman, Pedersoli, etc... are more of a fit and finish type of kit. 90+% of the inletting, cutting, carving has been done. You get to do barrel blueing or browning, final sanding and wood finishing, installing parts already factory finished (brass, triggers and lock) I would guess 12-16 man-hours of work.

A "gun kit" from Track of the Wolf, Pecatonia River, Chambers etc... are a pile of cast parts, unbreeched unfinished barrel, breech plug, non-inletted stock, and lock or lock kit. You can get some of the stuff done before shipment, such as breeching the barrel, cutting barrel channel and ramrod channel, cutting dovetails, and rough inletting and shaping on the stock. I would take a guess from what I have read, 140-150 man-hours, and more if a lot of carving and engraving is wanted.

That is why a complete factory gun is @$400-500, vs. a custom at anywhere from $1200-$7,000!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just looking at the "building" one. This will be the first one, so i am going to go with the lesss complicated one first. I would eventually love to do a custom one if this one goes right.

Retired_Rusty said:

A factory gun kit such as a TC, Lyman, Pedersoli, etc... are more of a fit and finish type of kit. 90+% of the inletting, cutting, carving has been done. You get to do barrel blueing or browning, final sanding and wood finishing, installing parts already factory finished (brass, triggers and lock) I would guess 12-16 man-hours of work.

A "gun kit" from Track of the Wolf, Pecatonia River, Chambers etc... are a pile of cast parts, unbreeched unfinished barrel, breech plug, non-inletted stock, and lock or lock kit. You can get some of the stuff done before shipment, such as breeching the barrel, cutting barrel channel and ramrod channel, cutting dovetails, and rough inletting and shaping on the stock. I would take a guess from what I have read, 140-150 man-hours, and more if a lot of carving and engraving is wanted.

That is why a complete factory gun is @$400-500, vs. a custom at anywhere from $1200-$7,000!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Retired_Rusty said:

Good advice, I've done both. Start with a Lyman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts