The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, what projectile/powder/charge weight shoot the best for you? any luck w/ sabots & XTP's?,,,ty

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Mine shoots well with Pa Conicals and 75-90 grains by volume of FFF. Shoots PRB's good but I find the Pa Conicals easier to deal with in the field.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My 54 shoots PRBs well, and power belts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the data. what do you consider good accuracy for the deerstalker?

·
Registered
198 Posts
PRB on top of a 54 caliber felt wad on top of 80 grains of FFF. My groups went from 2 inches to 1 inch at 50 yards when I started using the felt wad.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use tc shockwaves w/sabots in mine with 85 gr of fff and it shoots 2 in groups at 50 yds. I shot a doe in late season last year a blew a big hole in her.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had never heard of them either until I read a piece by Chuck Hawks (I think!) He explained that they help equalize pressure giving you more consistent velocities and therefore more accuracy. He went on to say that the old timers would use bits of tobacco, grass or wasp nests as a wad. All I know is it improved my groups.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My deerstalker is 50 cal - 80 grain FFF - .490 roundball - .15 patch - 3 shots inside 3" @ 50 yards off hand; with practice i can get them touching off the bench - 75 yards is my max range.

·
Registered
16,506 Posts
I shot a Traditions Deerhunter.50 cal. with a patched roundball since the 80's (1:66 twist). Took Deer with the gun... missed or misfired on multiple times what I took of course.

Fast forward to last week. I bought a Deerstalker from a member last Thurs (Retiredusne8). Took it to the range Saturday. Being comfy with Patched balls, and having a gaggle of lead, that's what I used. Book said 90 grains FF with a .50 PRB so that''s what I used. Took 5 shots off a bench at 50 yds. 1st was 8" high, 3" left, and the next 4 shots I tweaked a bit on the rear sights (windage/elev. to where the last shot was zeroed in 1/2" high and centered.

Most impressive however, was the ignition on this sucker. My Traditions I could never find a good ignition combo. Retusne8 hadan Black English Flint in it, and that's what I used. Honestly, there was no noticeable delay on ANY of the 5 shots once the flint hit frizzen. I was IMPRESSED. primed with FFFF. I also picked and cleaned pan between shots.

·
Registered
16,506 Posts
Have to add. The gun is stout and solid. Was a good bit heavier than I thought it would be. I need a sling.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My best groups are with 85 grains 2f and a patched roundball using crisco or Hoppes Plus for lube. I never had much luck with conicals unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have one used 80 gr of ff goex with prb .490 and .15 patch ffff in the pan shot well at 50 yds now it's my back up gun I have a custom flinter it always shot the best with real bp

1 - 20 of 28 Posts