The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm New to this forum and I'm looking for advice, Last year a Friend let me shoot his new muzzleloader he won at a gun raffle. I Really enjoyed it and im now looking for a flintlock for myself. I think it will be one of the following lyman deerstalker flintlock or T/C Firestorm in the flintlock.

I was able to handle the T/C Firestorm at a local Dicks Sporting goods in the area. I liked it but I was a little concerned about the balance of the gun it seemed front heavy with the synthetic stock, but im new to muzzleloading so what do I know. A co-worker of mine has a friend that uses it and he told me that this wasn't an issue for them.

I cant find a Deerstalker around the Greensburg/Latrobe area. So I don't know anything about it other than information and pictures on the internet.

let me know what you think. or if there is another gun that i should take a look at in this price range.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I BOUGHT A DEERSTALKER LAST YEAR FOR MUZZLELOADING AND LOVE IT.$325 AND IT SHOOTS GREAT AT 40-50 YDS. I AM NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO GO BEYOND THAT

·
Registered
695 Posts
I would buy the Deer Stalker. Something just aint right about plastic stocked muzzleloaders.

Check out the Lyman Great Plains rifle an even better choice IMHO

Either way welcome to black powder shooting & hunting

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have a deerstalker and I think that it shoots well. I only shoot patch and ball out of mine and I shoot a few hundred rounds per year out of it. It will be retired soon only because I ordered a custom gun

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have a deerstalker and I really like the look and more importantly,the feel of it.I've had it 2 years and still have'nt shot it enough!It shoots well and in all honesty probably would shoot even better if I would always do my part.Quite a few on here have deerstalkers so you should get some good info on them.Good luck!

·
Registered
12,528 Posts
For a flint lock, I would lean toward the lyman. I think you will find that the Lyman butt stock fits most men a bit better, especially the Great Plains Rifle. If you are going to spend that kind of money, definitely evaluate and handle the different ones. Before purchasing. When $ is burning a hole in your pocket, your likely to make a snap judgment buy and could be sorry later. Is it just for hunting, or will there be a fair amount of plinking or even target shooting. You would probably want to consider a step up to a gun with double set triggers.

Have you decided what you want to shoot out of it, Conicals or patched round balls. There's different rifling for each.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts

Lyman would be my choice also,the only problem is finding a place in your area that would have them,you may want to call the Sportsman supply in Butler,724 287-4294,next Grice's in Clearfield,814 765-9273,and then the best place would be Dixons muzzleloader shop in Kempton,610 756-9273.
Stay away from Dick's unless your buying high price shoes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
most likely I'm going to shoot patched round balls but I'm sure I'll also try out the maxi bullets as well. from what i have read that's what the 1 in 48" twist rate is ideal for.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i would go with lyman like other have said what are you going to do with it is it a couple of times a year hunting gun or do you plan on doing a lot of shooting and trying some of the local muzzleloader clubs shoots thats my help you make up your mind because once you start shooting blackpowder you my get hooked on it and thats a good thing

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Try a Hornady PA conical... my deerstalker will touch them together at 50+ off the bench.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I agree with spiritnugent... Lyman all the way and conicals shoot well as well as patch and ball...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am planing to take it hunting along with my friend and/or my wife, she would more than likely use the inline in the early Antlerless season and I have been known to take my collection out for target practice or just of a fun afternoon with family and friends maybe once or twice a month. I never really thought about joining a club, i may have to check into that.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I own both the Firestorm and the Deerstalker. They are both good guns that are only as good as the operator. You won't go wrong buying either of them.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I have the Firestorm and would highly recommend it on quality.I compared it to the Deerstalker too.I wasn,t crazy about the syn stock and yes,it doesn,t seem right to have a flinty in syn.I really wanted a wood stock gun and almost bought the Lyman but didn,t cause T,C,s lifetime warranty and bein made in America(Lyman isn,t) sealed the deal.Plus the Lyman,s I seen didn,t have good fit and finish.Plus our big local shop highly recommended the T/C,s over all the others.I now have a Renegade on order thru T/C,s custom shop.If I knew then that I could have ordered a Rennie,I would have pased on the Firestorm.But,with the removable breech plug,the Firestorm wins hands down for cleaning.Good luck on your descision.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts