The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first flintlock and I am running into a problem getting it sighted in. I am hoping that I could get some advice or answers from you guys. This is my set-up: Lyman Deerstalker 50 cal, 70 grains Goex 2F in the barrel, 4f Goex in the pan, .490 hornaday round ball, .20 thickness lubed patch. After adjusting the flint because of the pan not firing, every shot went off perfect. After every shot I would run one wet patch and one dry patch down the barrel. First 2 shots were 8 inches high, 4 inches right at 50 yards. Adjusted the rear sight for the next few shots and eventually ran out of room to move the rear sight down. At this point I am still 3 to 6 inches high at 50 yards. What are my options now? Am I forced to shoot a heavier bullet or ball, use less powder, or is there something I can do to my gun to help the problem? Any advice would be appreciated. Also I am adding a photo of my patches that I shot. Can anyone tell if they look ok or if they show anything I should know? On the picture showing the rear sight, I cannot move it down anymore even though it shows I have 1/8th inch more room. The screw that tightens down the sight is at the very back of the sight and has no more room. Also, I talked to the gentleman at dixons and he told me that he could put a higher front sight on the gun but never heard of this problem with the deerstalkers. He told me to rest the gun at the end of the muzzle when shooting. I did this and it did bring the shots down a little bit. Since I am new to flintlocks could it just be me? Thanks guys!

25 yard target 4 shot group

50 yard target 4 shot group

Patches

Rear Sight

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
i'd bump the main charge up 10 grains and see if it will tighten up the group. You're patches look really good though. Maybe even give some 3f goex a try.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I'd be upset at the pie plate group. My GPR shoots consistant 1" at 50yds and 1 1/2" at 100yds.

I have that gun and we shoot 245 aerotip powerbelts, 90g 777 with 5gr 3f in front. Groups really well. Maybe try a powerbelt 245 or 295 and bump the load up some. The 25yd groups look like you have the right idea and are not flinching so....you are ahead of the game.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use 85gr FFF and FFFF in the pan in my deerstalker, same ball and patch.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i have the trouble of flinching and i do not take shots past 60 yards period and in flintlock since i know i flinch i walk on every drive , just so happened my half rack 4 point last year was at 9 yards. kinda hard to miss. but its something i been working on. thats why i said it , from my own expeirence

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
well i did write up a long thing about a flintlock not being accurate like a rifle but i thought it was best to let the picture speak for itself....

Not a flinter but its my dads favorite and his only muzzleloader. Cabelas Hawken .50cal with 90gr 3f goex ( It takes 110gr Pyrodex RS to get this kind of accuracy) 247gr Colorado Thor conical @ 100 yards, NO SWABBING.

One of these years we're going to do strictly round ball hunts with the 50's just to see how they do. I really prefer a .54 but i sold mine

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree with the bump it in 10 grain increments practice.

That is what I did. There isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to bet 3" or smaller (1"?) groups at 50 yards with that rifle. I am betting that Scott is going to be closest at 90 gr. That is what mine shoots best at, also. And, I don't use anything but roundballs.

Also, make sure that you are relaxed and taking your time. Is this your first time with a flint? Are you sure that you aren't doing the "delayed-fire flinch"? Have someone observe you while you fire. It is possible to pull even if you are shooting off bags. Like any other sport, an observer or even a video camera can help you see what you are actually doing during the firing sequence.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
when i shoot my flintlock i try to make it so when the gun goes off its a suprise to me so i cant flinch. I pull the trigger slow so im not exaactly sure when its going to fire. also, if you tighten your grip and pull the trigger hard it moves the entire gun moving your aiming point. pull the trigger slow and smoothly

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah,
what he said...

A lot of people can't get the hang of flintlock. I have loved the surprise of the shot, ever since that first round. I don't notice the flash, only the click ... spark. I don't even notice a delay... I am so into: the target, the feel of the rifle, the set of my sights, the shot,... it is all so instantaneous to me.

Does that happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies! I guess it could be that I am flinching but everytime I shoot the gun it feels good and I never once said, " Boy I flinched on that one." Plus when I would adjust my rear sight left or right, up or down, my groups will follow my changes. The load I am shooting, the patches in between shots, and the way I rest my gun were all suggested by the guys at Dixons so I trust that its a proven load that works for this gun. I just can't figure out why its so high still at 50 yards. I can try bumbing up the grains of powder I am shooting but wouldn't that just make my groups higher at 50 yards? I guess this is what makes flintlocks so fun! Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Have you considered replacing the sights? Perhaps a set of traditional fixed sights which offer the possibility of filing the rear notch to lower the POI, with a filable blade front sight.

The adjustable rear sight thing allows you to adjust up and down, and once you achieve some desirable POI, then what? The adjustable feature is of no further use as far as I'm concerned.

Just offering some food for thought.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Are you bagging the stock??

Try resting the front end AND putting a sandbag under the butt end so that you cant drop the rifle down. When you use a sandbag under the butt, you put the hand that normally goes in front, left if you shoot righty, on the sand bag and you can adjust the elevation by squeezing the bag. Keep your off paw away from the rifle, do not death grip with your shooting hand. If anything, lay your shooting hand thumb pointing forward, not wrapped around the stock. If you are not following through you may be pulling away before the bullet has left the barrel.

You have to get the human element out of the picture before you start changing parts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts