The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a little help. I have a Lyman .50 Deerstalker and cannot get this thing to shoot any pattern. I am shooting 90 grain of fff with a 295 gr powerbelt aero tip sabot. What should I be shooting out of this gun. I am looking to try and sight in Sunday because we got drawn for the Pymatuming hunt and need to have it ready to go. Very excited about that. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Not an expert but my lyman likes 80 grains of 3F and a .490 round ball and an 0.15 patch. Start with lower powder charges and work up.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I used 80gr FF goex .490rb and blue pillow ticking it shot well out of that gun

·
Registered
154 Posts
I get the best groups out of my Deerstalker with patched round ball and black powder. I use 85 grains of 2f Goex, it is a .54 flintlock. Pyrodex works good to but I have to use about 10 grains of 3f Goex down the bore first to help light the Pyrodex due to it being a flintlock.

I have never got groups as tight as the round ball with conicals.

·
Registered
651 Posts
i shoot 70 grains of fff goex out of my deer hunter with 295 grain powerbelts, shoots great. Started out at 80 grains couldn't hit the same pie plate twice.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
We have had 3 in our family.All 3 got 1 1/2" groups at 50yds with 80grs of FFg,.490 RB,and .018 patch.Lymans have deep rifling and thats why they like patched round ball over conicals.Conicals will give blowby.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
What I don,t understand is that people want a traditional gun but don,t want to shoot it the way it was designed and shoot it with modern projectiles.If you want to shoot sabots and artificial powder,get an inline.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Perhaps the seal of the rubber/plastic on the powerbelts is causing too much pressure leading to it being innacurate.

Maybe try miniballs if you want to use a conical type projectile.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Powerbelt out of that rifle. Just the usual deal of having to work up the proper load. I have the cabelas hawken with the 1:48 twist and it loves the 295gr powerbelt with 80 to 90gr Pyrodex RS.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
lyman rifles deep groves cabelas shallow groves if you have a trader horn buy you look for T/C cheap shot they work okay out of the lyman with 65grs but i still like the round ball

1 - 20 of 41 Posts