The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I bought this in 50 cal and it looks and carries well. However I cannot seem to get a good group at 50 yards at all. The trigger pull is pretty stiff to me, so I think it is the culprit. I am shooting 80 gr of 3F Goex and .490 round balls.

Can any adjustments be made to this single trigger at all?

Would conicals perform better, Or should I get spendy and purchase some powerbelts?

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Try conicals... mine loves them with 70 grains of 3F. Remove all the lube, especially from the rear of the conical, and leave just enough lube on the side of it to slide it down the barrel. They come pre-lubed with entirely too much on them...

With patch and round ball, it can be as simple as having the wrong size patch in there to affect accuracy (patch size that your gun doesn't like).

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm...my pathes are ox yoke .015
Now I just gotta find a shop around here that sells these things. The only place I know of comes out of his house to the store if he sees you pull in the driveway...if he's home

which particular brand and size of conicals work best?

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Hornady PA conicals in 240 grain work for alot of people. They are shorter, and resemble a round ball.

Took over for the long timed beloved Bufflo Ballet Ball.

If it were my flinter, I would do one or both of 2 things...

Buy .018" patches to try with the .490 round ball.

And buy the PA conicals and try them.

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Try the PA Conicals with about 70-80 FFG or the same with the .490 ball and .018 patch. The Lymans seam to like the slightly thicker patches. If you have to use FFFG, try dropping down about 10% in charge.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
octagon said:
Try the PA Conicals with about 70-80 FFG or the same with the .490 ball and .018 patch. The Lymans seam to like the slightly thicker patches. If you have to use FFFG, try dropping down about 10% in charge.

·
Registered
859 Posts
My trigger on my Deerstalker was heavy also.I lightly polished it with a fine stone and sprayed inside the lock and trigger with RemOil.Now its fine.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
my trigger is ok, but I wish it were lighter. If you just got it and it is new give it some time. I have about 100 shots through it, most people say that with a production gun the barell has an 80-100 shot break in period. I use 80gr FF .490 RB and blue pillow ticking lubed with bore butter and I hold a very tight group at 50yds

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
My trigger on mine is like a dream... breaks very nice and crisp. Not a heavy one, just perfect. I must have gotten a good one.

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
It really is pot luck with a massed produced muzzleloader on the trigger pull.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I will look into those conicals and bigger patches. I am tired of 10" groups.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
hey "slay" just keep shooting it. the more you shoot it the more the barrell will get broken in and the more comfortable you will be with it

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
octagon said:
It really is pot luck with a massed produced muzzleloader on the trigger pull.
Can't the Lyman's Triggers be adjusted with a screw in the trigger assembly??

I know my Traditions has a little screw in the trigger assembly that I can adjust the pull of the trigger....

When I first got it, it was VERY HARD to shoot....I took the trigger assembly apart and used a screwdriver and loosened that adjusting screw and now have a very nice snap with my trigger, like I want!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, iI went and got me some 295 gr aerotip power belts and a box of 395 gr conicals. Maybe my gun will prefer one of those. The shop I was at did not have a lighter conicals. The fella there didnt know what a "PA" conical was. Is that a name brand?

Anyway, I guess no patch is needed when loading either of those 2 correct?

If none of that works, then it is off to trying 2F instead of 3F. Seems like most folks prefer the 2F. is there a reason for that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts