The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just got my first flintlock and dont know where to start. i know the basics i need to get to start and my question is does anyone have any experience with these guns? i only found one box of hornady plains in i think 425grain. the shop near me said they are not allowed to sell black powder anymore. where can i find info on the charge to bullet combo? are there any shops around philly that has a large selection? good prices? thanks

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You may want to contact your local sheriff on Restrictions on possession of black powder in Philly..You may be allowed a pound or less.I do not know.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
every gun is differentin the loads they like start with 60grs 3f powder with maybe a .18ths patch and go from there but since the gun is new i would just shoot and shoot and shoot just to break the barrel in

·
Registered
400 Posts
Tanners just north of Almshouse road on York road in Jamison has black powder a heck of a lot closer than Dixon's for you. There is also a shop that specializes in muzzleloaders on route 611 just south of Lake Nockamixon on the right hand side as you go north.An ancient fossil of a guy runs it, he has to be 85 if he is a day, the whole shop is blackpowder.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I would check to see if it is a Great Plains Rifle or a Great Plains Hunter. I think the Hunter model is a faster twist and designed for conicals or sabots as opposed to the roundball twist in the rifle?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Asajoe1 you are correct the GPR is a slow roundball twist and the GPH is a faster twist

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i found out it is the regular great plains but the store told me it was the hunter. anyway just makes it cheaper to shoot. i went to dixons, thanks freytown. the shop was great and chuck the owner is a great guy and very helpful.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Think you will be happier with the GPR over the GPH.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
If you happened to look around much while at Dixon's, there is a little trigger in the back of your mind which will take you back many, many times. Good luck making your new Lyman your last flintlock purchase!

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
It’s good to hear that your visit to Dixon’s was a success…I was quite sure it would be. I have only been there once but was very impressed with the shop. I wish it was closer to me. Good luck with your GPR.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also have the GPR in .54 cal and I love it. It is the only rifle I shoot in gun season. Don't shoot the centerfire no mo!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Mine likes .535 RBs and .15 patches over 80 grains of powder. It also like the Hornady 54 cal sabots with a 45 cal 250 grain SST bullet. Get yourself a range rod and never use a dry patch swagger.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
i haven't been down by you since my dad was there for work 5 or so years ago, the guy in ottsville on 611 charlie stone, he will set you up big time. he did for a guy my dad was working with

1 - 15 of 15 Posts