The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heared so many good things about this flintlock...What do you think about it?

It comes in LH too...Points nice....real nice fiberoptic sights on it now. One could pup a pepsight on it too since the new ones are already tapped for it if you desired...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Got mine 3 years ago and love it! The sights were my only complaint, but through practice- I just got used to using them. Apparently Lyman has addressed this problem though. I have the left-handed model.
Uncle Buck- I don't think you can go wrong with this choice

·
Premium Member
4,377 Posts
Uncle Buck, Dixon's Muzzleloader Shop is an authorized dealer for Lyman, and I've handled several of their lefty models. They're definitely "top shelf" weapons, and one of these days.......!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Great gun for the price!!! My best friend has it and loves it!

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Nice short gun thats easy to carry.Good accuracy.Lifetime warranty covered by Dixons.Good strong steel in that barrel.Some guys had trouble breaking that folding rear sight.I never did.I had 3 of them in years past but I'm a taller/bigger guy and could never get used to the ballance of a shorter gun.I have 2 Great Plains now.(50&54)I also have a early Plains that was made in a 45.Their Trades rifle is inbetween size.If your shooting RB's the Great Plains can out shoot with the 1:66/1:60 twist.I think the "A" series is 1:66 and pre "A" is 1:60.I could have that switched but but are excellent.
Both Trades and Deerstalkers are 1:48.
They used to make a Deerstalker Carbine that was even shorter yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
love mine did break the rear sight that folds down there is a little piece of spring steel under it that holds the sight up i put a set of true glows on it i know this is the traditional forum but thats what i did last 2 deer i shot with it were right in the head very accurate

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have one also.Carried it for the first time hunting the early ml season.Very nice to carry and it's more accurate than I am.Hey give me a break I just started shooting it 7 mths ago!I really like mine and am more than happy with it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have had one for a couple of years. I shoot prb's with it and can hold a 2in group with it at 50yds. I use a .490 ball 80gr of 2f goex and blue pillow ticking lubed with borebutter. It is a nice gun and worth the money, I kinda wish it had a double trigger, I am not a big fan of the trigger pull. Other than that it is a very nice flinter.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I like about this gun is the single trigger. You can tell just how a gun fits you if your going to like it. I have had other L H flintlocks and they just seemed not to feel good...Also they have double triggers too...The fiberoptic type sight should work great in dark forest or even over snow...

·
Registered
889 Posts
I really like mine. The rifle shoots conicals and round balls very well. And the peep sight is the berries. I really like the way mine handles. And it is Left handed. how can you beat that?? Tom.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I bought a LH Lyman DeerStalker .50cal flintlock from Northern Rifleman for $350.00 plus $15 shipping. It was the best deal around for the newer model with fiber optic sights. Real nice wood.
northernrifleman.com/ still listed for the same price.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
UGGGHHHHH he has a SCOPE mounted on it!!!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I like mine but it is the only one I have so nothing to compare it to? The white bead in front is hard to pick up when there is snow all over the ground, red or orange would show up better. Shoots fine, 80 gr. 3F with patched RB will hit about 1 1/2" high at 50 yards and 90 gr. 3F with the hornady great plains bullet is dead on. Mine is .54 cal.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Put a thin coat of flo orange paint on the white dot.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
410-er said:
Put a thin coat of flo orange paint on the white dot.
Or any other color----maybe PINK!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts