The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what appears to be the mentioned sight in it's orginal box. The box is marked 48 WJS for Winchester bolt action rifles Models 54 and 70. The sight and mounting blockare both stamped with C44, which I believe are production stamps. The block is marked Lyman WJS. The sight is marked on the elvation side with the running deer in a circle. But no where can I find a 48 marked on it. According to Nick Stroebel's book-Old Gunsights & Rifle Scopes, some were not marked with a 48, just a production stamp. Is this a 48? Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I would say it is a 48....WJS is Lyman's model designation for the sight that fits the 54s and 70s as well as Remington 700-721-722....

This sight often does not fit without the necessity of a little wood removal...many old 70s bear the "mark" of a once-installed peep sight....

·
Registered
25,785 Posts
So do Remskis. Once saw a mint M722 in 257 Roberts at an auction. Mint, except for once having had a sight mounted and about a 1/4" of wood removed and no fill screws where the sight had been.

Minor detail, to me. Got lots of assorted gun screws.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts