The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with this climber? Anything you like or dislike about it. I have an older sit and climb that I use on almost every hunt, I would like to have a back up that's light weight. I know the platform on the Assault is small I have an assault lock on. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I love lone wolf stands but I hated my assault climber.

I bought the assault new from lone and used it once and determined that the platform was simply too small for my liking.
I am only 5'8" and 180 lbs...by no means a big man.

My biggest concern however was securing the seat (climber portion) to the tree. It just didnt snug tight enough to the tree and would slide down or move on me.
I did one 4 hour sit in it and put it away for 3 years. I just sold it last fall as I realized I was too old to be sacrificing safety for the convenience of a lightweight climber.
So a gentleman basically got a new assault climber for half the price. We both came away very happy.

I use climbing sticks and a lone wolf alpha hang on now. Their seats were never all that comfortable, but their hangon is the quietest, most rock solid stand I have ever used.
If you go that route, add the foot rest to it......It is amazing how much more comfort it adds to a long day in the tree.

There ya have it. A dissatisfied lone wolf Assault user.....LOL good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought one a few years ago and learned to love it. Little tough learning to climb with it, but pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Only downfall is that is really doesnt like bigger trees. Not sure there is a lighter and more compact climber out there. If ya get one, consider putting Molle straps on it. Super comfortable on those long hikes. I still use my summit if im packing in close to the truck, but anything over a quarter mile hike or so, and the LW gets the nod.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Edit: i have the hand climber ii, not the assault. Just realized that. Little bigger platform.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've really enjoy using a Lone Wolf Wide Flip-Top Climber "Combo" for the last 2 years. Folds flat and I even purchased a harness with a waist belt on it to make it feel even lighter when hiking long distances with it on your back. I also did a mod to the seat that allows it to sit flat like a shelf so my backpack/clothes/accessories can be stored there. I'm thinking of switching to a tree saddle this year. Would be willing to sell.

https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/Products/Wide-Flip-Top-Climber-%e2%80%9cCombo%e2%80%9d__WFTC.aspx

Attachments

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've really enjoy using a Lone Wolf Wide Flip-Top Climber "Combo" for the last 2 years. Folds flat and I even purchased a harness with a waist belt on it to make it feel even lighter when hiking long distances with it on your back. I also did a mod to the seat that allows it to sit flat like a shelf so my backpack/clothes/accessories can be stored there. I'm thinking of switching to a tree saddle this year. Would be willing to sell.

https://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/Products/Wide-Flip-Top-Climber-%e2%80%9cCombo%e2%80%9d__WFTC.aspx

Thanks for the info but I already have a sit and climb

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
If you have the sit and climb,pick up an assault climber and use the sit and climb top with the assault platform, That's what I've been using for years and it's by far the best climber for the way I hunt.I did replace the seat with a hazmore net seat

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the hand climber combo and really like it. For me the Assault was too small, and like Slay said I'm not a big guy either, just didn't like the size of the platform and wasn't comfortable sitting (or standing) in it.
I also pack my stand on a Kuiu Icon Pro frame pack and LOVE it... I can walk miles with it. The stand sandwiches in between the frame and the pack and buckles in tight. Also have the bow carrier on the pack. It's a killer hands free setup if you're into exploring new areas.

I've tried a TON of climbers over the years and each had their pros and cons. This is the first climber setup that I'm actually happy with. Quick, quiet, packable and relatively light.

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
Here's my experience.I've been looking for the perfect climber my entire life and the LW assault with a sit and climb top was about as good as it got for my needs but still far from perfect.This past year I bought JX3 Hybrid and it is perfect.It's a hybrid saddle that's more comfortable than a summit climber or Millenium hangon.With one stick& aider I can climb and be ready to hunt in the same time it took me to use the LW.I can pre-set steps and use it like like a hangon or use a set of climbing sticks to hunt any tree.It has all the advantages of a traditional saddle but has the comfort of the best stand out there.It's truly a game changer.It takes a little bit of time to get used to and figure out but once you have a system,you're flat out a predator.Here's a picture of the shikar stick and aider that I just got last week.It weighs 1.5 lbs and gets me 7 feet off the ground instantly.I move the stick three more times and I'm at hunting height.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thanks. Is the Shikar stick really worth the money? I’m not sure I see the value?

I’ve been looking at saddles and almost picked up a H2 but now I’m going to have to look at the JX3 now. I want to make a decision well before the season bc of the lead times on them and it’ll only get worse the closer it gets.

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
It is in my experience.It's extremely light,packable,grips like crazy and it sits further away from the tree so your feet have more room.I bought one just to try but may pick up two more.The JX3 is the answer to all of my tree stand issues.I can't find one flaw or one thing I'd change about it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have the assault hand climber and love it. It's SUPER light and does what I need it to. I'm 6'2" and 240. I fit on the platform just fine. Don't get me wrong, you can't dance around, but for what it is used for, it's awesome. I have no issues with the seat as others mentioned as I secure it with the Third Hand Stabilizer straps. The seat is ROCK solid with it.

With that said, I think the king of climbing stands is the Viper SD by Summit. No better stand in my opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts