The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the rut just a few weeks away (I know I'm probably driving you guys nuts with all these posts) I wanted to get a few opinions on a few things.

Anyone have luck with Buck Bomb (peticularly sugarbeet smash, and doe in estrus)?
I heard from one of my cousins that the sugarbeet smash works wonders and from what I see online doe in estrus seems to work, also, is it legal? And do you have to be somewhere that naturally grows sugarbeets for it to work?

Also, what calls do you guys use? I looked around online and ordered a pack rack (knight and hale), seems to overall have the best reviews..
Are they useful, or should I cancel and try to get something better? Also what time should I start using calls / grunts ( I also have a primos grunt tube)

And finally, I want to make sure I understand cover scents correctly. During this time, we should be using nothing / or buck urine on the shoes right? How about calling? And closer to the rut, I should start using doe p, and doe in estrus during the rut right?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
From the PA Digest

Lures & Scents
Except in CWD Disease Management Areas, estrous scents and
lures, or other non-food source cover scents are legal for deer.
Scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food
stuff, including, but not limited to, corn, apple and acorns are not
legal. Use of drip devices is legal, with legal scents and lures, as long
as they don’t violate the prohibition against electronic devices. The
use of scents or lures while hunting bears is prohibited.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Skip the buck bomb and sugarbeet smash. They are a gimmick...

Personally for me, estrous scents scare large deer and will somewhat get the attention of younger bucks. If you use estrous scents, use them on a drag rag to your stand/hunting area. You can then hang the drag rag in a tree and let the wind catch the scent. I dont start doing this until Halloween.

I like Evercalm as a cover scent and it has worked wonders for me when deer are around. Its not a lure, but a cover scent. Dont expect deer to smell it and come in. It only works if they cross your trail or are in your general vicinity.

As for calls, you can start rattling lightly now. I like the rattle bag, but nothing works or sounds better than the real thing. The can call is good when used correctly ( do not follow the directions on the can call packaging, PM for details).
Grunt tubes are great, but you really need to know how to use one and when. Watch as many YOUTUBE videos as you can. Ive been grunting lightly and have had some success so far this season.

Skip the buck urine.

You should really find what works for the deer in your area. You are going to get many different responses from everyone on this. Some things work for others and some don't. Some guys swear by buck urine and estrous, some wont touch it and waste their money.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
I use tarsal gland scent while rattling. I think it helps to bring in deer that circle downwind before approaching. I agree with a rattle bag...much easier to carry in/out of the woods than a set of antlers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
After forty seven years of bowhunting, I will tell you to never put any commercial scent near your stand. Forget about all the scent control products and clothing also. Pay attention to one thing you can control. Your movement. You will be miles ahead of most bowhunters if you do.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
joeyfont said:
After forty seven years of bowhunting, I will tell you to never put any commercial scent near your stand. Forget about all the scent control products and clothing also. Pay attention to one thing you can control. Your movement. You will be miles ahead of most bowhunters if you do.
I haven't been hunting anywhere near that long, but in the short time that I have, I've been suckered into all sorts of scent gimmicks, none of which have proven effective. I've come to the same conclusions as you on both ends: skip the scents, skip the scent control, hunt carefully and watch the wind. So far, that philosophy has led to multi-deer archery harvest seasons over the past several years on both public and private lands.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I stopped buying scents, and scent control products the day after my father in law accidentally spilled a cup of french vanilla coffee on his hunting coat on our way up to the deer woods. He had to have his morning cup of coffee. He got a nice piebald buck later that same day........

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
I wouldn't say that lures/ cover scents don't work, but I've never used them. I believe that the popularity of various outdoor shows have driven the use of them. The makers of these products are signed on as sponsors of some shows, and the hunting celebs never fail to mention how effective they are.

The wackiest promotion of lure I've seen was at a trapping convention at Clearfield some years ago. A fellow there was selling 1 oz bottles of turkey lure.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
A discussion on another site in regards to cover scents, a person brought up the fact of how the cover scent hasn't been made yet that can defeat a drug sniffing dog.

IMO, they are items on the list of many gimmicks when taken as a whole tend to aid in the stunting of personal skill development.

·
Registered
195 Posts
the best scent,is no scent.play the wind,if you can.people talk about the wind like it blows consistently from one direction all of the time.that is just not the case in most instances.but you can set up in an area were the wind will be more favorable to your stand location.

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
DONT BUY INTO THOSE GIMMICKS.

if you want urine in a mock scrape...use your own...it works

otherwise deer are very curious and curiosity KILLS

make a scrape about 3' x 3' dig into the dirt until you can smell it real good...thats it, its all you need to trigger the deers sight and sense curiosity.

the deer will smell the fresh earth look at the HUGE scrape and walk over to investigate. the deer will look and smell, searching for what made the scrape. with no odors to spook it, the deer will stay and investigate long enough to give you a perfect shot.

not 100% effective everytime you go out, but when a deer gets close enough to smell it and check it out, it does bring them closer....works even better if you are near an evergreen and can rub the needles together hard enough until your hands smell like Pine Tree.

combine the fresh earth scent with the fresh pine scent and that deer will just have to investigate. i watched a doe, check out this same earth and pine set up for over 20 minutes trying figure out what happened.

TRY IT...save money...Kill Deer

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
We are all probably guilty of looking for an edge through something marketed to us. We've bought things we didn't need.

To those starting out...go easy buying into promises/products. Instead of looking for something to cover a symptom ..use your head, develop skills and go for the cure.

Deer were being taken from the ground by traditional bow hunters taking 15 yard shots while dressed in Woolrich plaid shirts years before many of these products came out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do scrapes get that big? And would that scare little guys off? I'm out there for any buck until I take one (no doe tags unfortunately). Also should I just be making it with my hands?

Like the pine advice by the way. Whenever I put my hunting gear on the first thing I do is usually rub up against a tree and roll my boots around in some mud.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like I'll be switching from Coffee to French Vanilla Cappucinos in the mornings I hunt

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the way anyone have any experience with the Knight and Hale PackRack? And regarding the peeing on scrapes thing, wouldn't it be better to get buck urine? I hear a lot of controversy about this, but I know most people suggest bringing a bottle to pee in. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Peeing in a bottle is old school thinking. Tests have been done and deer cannot tell one pee from another. They don't have a chemistry set. The only thing they might possibly detect is any protein in urine. Which you should not really have.....see a doctor if you have elevated urine protein. And, even if they did sense that, that might only associate you with any number of meat-eating animals in the woods. Bears, fox, coyote, bobcat, etc..... All animals pee in the woods. A deer can't run away every time it smells urine.

I have peed in scrapes that I had trail cameras over. I have several different bucks come and freshen the scrapes I peed on myself.

My dad's 80 year old buddy still brings the pee bottle. A couple years ago, he walked in and poured it down our kitchen sink. Nasty!!!!! Why he couldn't just pour it out before he came in the house...or even the toilet. But the kitchen sink?!?!?!?!? But I digress.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts