The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to take him with a vertical bow and not a crossbow. A bolt would be too short to cradle inside his rack. :D

He certainly is beyond the ears.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Wow he is wide, looks like a mini Rompola buck. I was really hoping he would survive, been enjoying you posting him past few years.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
What a tank!!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just noticed his G3 switched sides from last year. There's a little bud on the other side, not sure if it makes an inch by the time he's done.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
My day has been made!! Was hoping to see this guy back on the board. Looks to me like he might be having his best year this year...

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes! Did you see him on the hoof at all last year?
Not while hunting. Saw him a couple times while spotting. And seeing him in person is something else. You get to see him in proportion to the other deer and see all different angles.

The year before I saw him twice. Twice in our turnip field. Both times were about 5 minutes left until quitting time. The first time, he was chasing a doe and another buck off, on the other side of the field. I just stood and watched. No way I was going to get across the open field saw I enjoyed the show. The second time, I was on the other side of the field and he came the same way. He ended up broadside at 40 yards. I thought it was 30. Well, you know how that goes. He ran about 20 yards and stood there, now way too far. He mosied around for a while and then walked away. So, I missed, but better than wounding him and I didn't even spook him much. Continued to get pics in the field the rest of the season. Always late. Like midnight late.I gotta get him in the rut, somehow. It's the only way.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Not while hunting. Saw him a couple times while spotting. And seeing him in person is something else. You get to see him in proportion to the other deer and see all different angles.

The year before I saw him twice. Twice in our turnip field. Both times were about 5 minutes left until quitting time. The first time, he was chasing a doe and another buck off, on the other side of the field. I just stood and watched. No way I was going to get across the open field saw I enjoyed the show. The second time, I was on the other side of the field and he came the same way. He ended up broadside at 40 yards. I thought it was 30. Well, you know how that goes. He ran about 20 yards and stood there, now way too far. He mosied around for a while and then walked away. So, I missed, but better than wounding him and I didn't even spook him much. Continued to get pics in the field the rest of the season. Always late. Like midnight late.I gotta get him in the rut, somehow. It's the only way.

I haven't ran into a situation as of yet where I feel the risk is worth the possible reward, but have you thought about trying a decoy in the middle of your turnip field during the rut? Ya have a to figure, a buck like him is going to at least check a field like that from cover. It might work out that if he sees a "buck" standing in the middle of his stabbin cabin, he might just lose his mind. Might is the operative word, but knowing this buck like you do, he has to be the absolute ruler of the roost.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did try a decoy once. I drove the decoy and my chair and supplies out on the ATV. Set up the decoy and my little sitting area, brushed in, just on the edge of the field. I drove the ATV out of the field and parked it. As I was walking back to my set-up, a medium sized buck came out of the field and started strutting towards the decoy. He had about 100 yards to cover. I walked parallel to him the whole way. I was 50 yards from him the whole time and he never cared. I was in the middle of the field. He got to within about 10 yards of the decoy and had a stare-off with it. I decided I was going to walk right up to this buck and see how close I could get. When I got to about 20 yards, I decided he was't a bad 8-pointer and I was going to take him. He ended up spooking finally when I tried to circle around him for a broadside shot. It was crazy. I didn't end up seeing another buck that evening.

Problem is, I live 2.5 hours from my hunting camp so I mostly hunt on weekends. And there are more people around on the weekends. Not hunters, but mostly my non-hunting neighbors who walk dogs, hike, ride their ATVs across the fields, etc....week days are when the deer come out in shooting light, but I only have so much time off. Both field experiences were during the week in the rut. I took the last Thursday and Friday of the season off.

My home situation changed recently and I'm now a full-time single dad. My son comes with me, but my daughter doesn't hunt. I won't be able to take off as much this year because I'll have to stay home with my daugher. She's 14. Unless she wants to miss some school and sit in the cabin for a few days. Who knows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts