The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the result of a 70+ yard shot from a buddy of mine last year - he had a good shot on a doe at 70-75 yards with his Xbow and took it, aiming about 6" higher than he normally would thinking the arrow would drop a bit more than it did. She required a quick finish cut, but dropped on the spot. hit was 2 vertebrates back from the shoulder hump.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
really not looking for ridicule on this...it's more or less an "interesting" piece that is going on the trophy shelf next to the robin hooods, squirrel and fox tails, turtle shells and other nick nacks i have picked up in the woods over the years. I'd love to add a couple skulls too. i'll be putting this into a bucket of peroxide to bleach it now that the bugs have done their job. the cartilage will probably need to be replaced with a rubber washer of sorts

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
jayd4wg said:
he had a good shot on a doe at 70-75 yards with his Xbow and took it, aiming about 6" higher than he normally would thinking the arrow would drop a bit more than it did.
First off, good to see that that doe was finished quickly. Hopefully, a lesson was learned about knowing precisely the drop of your arrow before a shot is attempted. He got lucky with that one.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Excuse me, need to go make some popcorn. This could go on for a while.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
steel...you must not have played with some of the newer xbows. his is dednutz out to 50 NO problem. he guestimated a 6 inch hold over with a 5MOA dot at 70ish yards and hit 6inches OVER...he should have just held flat and it would have let the air out. the shot was only a tad back from POA and probably due to wind. with that xbow, i would have taken the same opportunity to be honest. nice fat doe, and she would not come any closer. the path was clear, and range doable. the real culprit here is the mechanical head that failed to penetrate the bone after expanding.

·
Registered
10,830 Posts
The only thing I am going to say is it is not an ethical shot. I don't care how fast his xbow is, at 70+ yards the deer has too much time to move before the bolt hits its mark. A deer can duck an arrow or jump the string at 20 yards let alone that distance.(Especially if xbows are as loud as people say they are.)
I am sorry but this is a very disturbing post to me. Bow hunting is about close range, not holding above a deers back and throwing up a Hail Mary.
As hunters we owe it to the animal to only take ethical shots.
I am not going to lie to you, I have wounded a few deer in my day and I felt terrible about it. It is bow hunting and sometimes it happens, but I can promise you I will never shoot at a deer over 35 yards even if it is a buck of a lifetime.
I hope you are new to bow hunting and just learning. I also hope there are others on here that will agree with me on this.
I am sad to say it, but your story was one of the biggest fears people had about the inclusion and it is reflecting poorly on other xbow hunters.
I hope the mods do not edit or delete my reply because I feel this is important.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
steelhead125 said:
The only thing I am going to say is it is not an ethical shot. I don't care how fast his xbow is, at 70+ yards the deer has too much time to move before the bolt hits its mark. A deer can duck an arrow or jump the string at 20 yards let alone that distance.(Especially if xbows are as loud as people say they are.)
I am sorry but this is a very disturbing post to me. Bow hunting is about close range, not holding above a deers back and throwing up a Hail Mary.
As hunters we owe it to the animal to only take ethical shots.
I am not going to lie to you, I have wounded a few deer in my day and I felt terrible about it. It is bow hunting and sometimes it happens, but I can promise you I will never shoot at a deer over 35 yards even if it is a buck of a lifetime.
I hope you are new to bow hunting and just learning. I also hope there are others on here that will agree with me on this.
I am sad to say it, but your story was one of the biggest fears people had about the inclusion and it is reflecting poorly on other xbow hunters.
I hope the mods do not edit or delete my reply because I feel this is important.
100% Correct. You are spot on, my friend.

·
Registered
19,666 Posts
Unfortunately, hunters from all segments of our sport take shots that have not been practiced. Some of those shots result in clean kills, others do not. No one group of hunters is squeaky clean.

The important thing is this deer was harvested and not wounded. Hopefully, in the future, this hunter will know the exact trajectory of the arrow at the range a shot is taken, especially with archery equipment.

With this being said, this thread is locked as history has proven that contructive discussion can be difficult with some issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts