The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lube my pillow ticking by putting on one strip, than just a smear on another after I use the other to clean up the table, than put face to face and roll up tight, and put in bag. Anybody use any different methods? Just seeing if there's different ways to t without sopping patch with too much. Thanks

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I use about a table spoon of wonderlube in a baggie and put it in the microwave. I put the strip of pillow ticking in it after it is melted and rub the melted lube into the ticking. What are you using for lube?

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
Blackbrunin and Sparkchaser: stop all that lubing nonsense and just use common Crisco as a lube. It keeps the bore clean because it keeps the poweder residue soft. Also, you can fry chicken with it. You can shoot it and eat it. If you could spend it too, the stuff would be PERFECT!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used to use Crisco for my patches and never had any problems. I don't know why I switched to Bore Butter. I
probably got talked into it by a salesman.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, yeah been told that before. I have used several, lehigh valley lube, shenadoah valley, and just trying old trappers lube from John dewald at northeast. I was always told to stay away from vegetable based lubes for patch roundball, especially in cold weather.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
"ya know, seriously, if you aren't going to shoot right now, the spit patch will dry out and cause a lot (a LOT) of powder residue in the bore. Spit patching is great for targret shooting and if you have an abundance of spit.

·
Registered
695 Posts
When i'm target or woodswalk shooting spit patches are all i use. Just pop a patch in my mouth while i pour powder. No wipeing between shots required. For hunting i use a deer tallow and neetsfoot oil mixture for lube.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I use a home made lube. It's bear grease and bees wax. Heat it up in an old pan. When it liquifies put your patch strips in. Once the strips are saturated take them out and squeeze the excess lube back into the pan.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Straight Neatsfoot oil for me. Not Neatsfoot compound....Neatsfoot oil. Wet the ticking strips, roll them up and store in a little baggie and they're good for years!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Didnt say i was chewing on the lead balls. If lead was half the problem they (whoever they are) say it is i would be dead long already. from growing up on a farm where everything from the house to the barn had a coat of lead base paint.(wasnt one of the dumb ones that ate it)Too casting sinkers loading shot shells casting bullets and loading them. If lead aint got me in the first 50 years doubt it will in the next 50.
Maybe you were one of em that ate the paint

Btw. Been tested for heavy metals. tests were neg.

·
Registered
818 Posts
long hunter said:
Didnt say i was chewing on the lead balls. If lead was half the problem they (whoever they are) say it is i would be dead long already. from growing up on a farm where everything from the house to the barn had a coat of lead base paint.(wasnt one of the dumb ones that ate it)Too casting sinkers loading shot shells casting bullets and loading them. If lead aint got me in the first 50 years doubt it will in the next 50.
Maybe you were one of em that ate the paint

Btw. Been tested for heavy metals. tests were neg.
Same thing here. Been playing with lead in one form or another my entire life....and I'll be 67 in a couple of weeks. Blood test a couple years ago was neg. Not sayin' lead can't be a problem but it just isn't the problem it's hyped up to be these days. Personally, I think the whole lead issue is just a ploy to curtail hunting and shooting.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Alpinbogen said:
Haven't the health benefits of routine fingering of lead and spit patches been well documented?
never seen that document!!!!!!! spit patch all the way unless letting gun loaded for more then 1 day.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Haha, That was intended to be tongue in cheek. I use spit patches on the range, as well, sometimes. Otherwise, I usually rub my lube well onto both sides of the patch, and swipe off the excess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts