The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any kind of difference? I always thought I had a concealed weapons permit. After looking at my card it says license to carry. Did this change? Do I need to conceal carry if I have a LTCF or can I open carry if I want? I'm just confused.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I was under the impression that open carry does not require any type of permit? Like the gal in Lebanon at the soccer game. I'm pretty sure she didn't posess any special permit, she was just exercising her right to open carry in PA.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
PA requires a "license to carry firearms" (LTCF) in order to carry concealed on or about your person or in a vehicle.

Open carry does not require a LTCF, except in Philly.

However, you must have a LTCF in order to transport a firearm in a vehicle to the places you desire to open carry.

Some states refer to their licenses as CCW's, CWP's, etc.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
The main reason is...we have a License to carry "firearms" not weapons.
The LTCF that we have is to carry firearms, not to carry concealed weapons.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Pigger, mine says Pa. LTCF and it was issued by the county sherriff. I was always told this was a concealed carry permit and use it as that.

·
Registered
25,774 Posts
Au contraire. Some sheriffs still give out a little guideline sort of thing that cautions you to conceal, lest you offend or startle someone.

I know how the law is worded, that's not the argument.

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
Steve in PA said:
I'll put forth this.........that 9 out of 10 sheriffs have little to no actual knowledge of the firearm laws of PA.
that's what i have been finding out from stories, forums, etc.....

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
DennyF said:
Au contraire. Some sheriffs still give out a little guideline sort of thing that cautions you to conceal, lest you offend or startle someone.

I know how the law is worded, that's not the argument.
Do some research, last year's MPOTEC training update for all law enforcement officers in PA specifically covered the legality of open carry.

The state's upcoming effort to initiate uniform issue of LTCF will get all the county sherrif's on the same page and stop their personal applcation of their own feelings to the LTCF process...

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Pigger said:
Is there any kind of difference?
Yes, PA only has a LTCF, there is no CWP.

Pigger said:
I always thought I had a concealed weapons permit.
Lots of people think this.

Pigger said:
After looking at my card it says license to carry. Did this change?
It's been a LTCF for as long as I've know, then again that's only been 4 years.

Pigger said:
Do I need to conceal carry if I have a LTCF or can I open carry if I want? I'm just confused.
It's OK lots of folks are at first. With a LTCF you can Open Carry, and Conceal carry. You got all the basis covered.

Now go check out PAFOA.com their search engine is pretty good, tons of info there.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
I'm a bit confused. Aren't there several "types" of LTCF based on the stated purpose of the Permit - protection, sportsman's, etc No? and there are differences in wheater they may be concealed, not concealed etc based on the reason stated on the LTCF permit. Thanks Keystoneman and others. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
It doesnt matter what box you check, the LTCF is good for all reasons. It does make things alot simpler just to check the other box and write in "all lawful purposes" though

PACS §6109. Licenses.

(a) Purpose of license.—A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one’s person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

As far as places where they can be concealed or open carry per the permit..

The permit entitles you to carry concealed at anytime as long as you are in a place theat entitles you to do so. The permit, at no given time, tells you where you can not open carry.

The only places you need a LTCF to open carry is in cities that have more than 1 million people.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
The only places you need a LTCF to open carry is in cities that have more than 1 million people.
***and if you plan on open carrying down the street and getting into your vehicle!***

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
varmintblaster said:
Steve in PA said:
However, you must have a LTCF in order to transport a firearm in a vehicle to the places you desire to open carry.
/quote]

There are exceptions to that rule:
http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/PA/1...hout-a-license/
I'm not talking about going to the range, etc.

If you want to go to someplace and walk around carrying openly, you need a LTCF in order to drive there.

I'm well aware of the limited places you can transport a firearm to without having a LTCF. Going to the mall or downtown is not one of them.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Keystonepaul said:
I'm a bit confused. Aren't there several "types" of LTCF based on the stated purpose of the Permit - protection, sportsman's, etc No? and there are differences in wheater they may be concealed, not concealed etc based on the reason stated on the LTCF permit. Thanks Keystoneman and others. Keystonepaul
No, there is only one LTCF. As the other poster said, it doesn't matter what "reason" you check on the aplication, or what is typed on the LTCF.......you are covered for every single reason.

I have no idea why they have options on the forms, my guess is for some type of statistics. Many people have said they checked one box, but when they got their LTCF.....it was changed to "self-defense" or protection.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Just check "self defense" on the LTCF form.

I think Paul may be thinking about a Pa. Sportsman's Permit that allows a person to carry a handgun while fishing,hunting,or trapping. They are available at County Treasurer's offices.

They limit the person to carrying the gun while engaged in the activites noted above, while in posession of a valid license for said activity. To transport the handgun with a sportsman permit, it must be unloaded while it is in the vehicle.

I'm not sure why someone would even bother getting a Sportsmen Permit.. If you are going to go through the motions, might as well buck up and get the LTCF.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts