The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on the PAFOA website. Thought I would share here.
The PA Legislature has come up with a bill that would require all folks who wish to obtain a concealed carry permit to obtain liability insurance. HB 521 adds the line “and the applicant has obtained firearm liability insurance as provided under subsection” to the concealed carry application.

Here's the actual bill

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...r=0521&pn=0564

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
THis seems to be becoming a new and popular theme among lefties, to require some form of liability insurance for concealed carry permit holders all the way to the same for anyone who owns a gun.

I don't see this as being any more than a means to disenfranchise exercise of 2A rights. They may argue these premiums need to be paid to cover societal costs associated with violent crime, but these costs in a just and equitable and free society should be borne by no other than the criminals who committed the acts.

And if our socialized medical systems require this to offset medical care costs for gunshot victims, the burden should be paid for without prejudice by the system as a whole, not gun owners (in general). Gun owners (at least the ones who work) like everyone else, already pay into the payroll tax for this purpose. If we expect them to pay more via insurance mandates or higher taxes associated with firearms, then we need to be fair here and open the pandoras box to evaluate every means to commit violence.

Example- thousands of people are stabbed to death every year and countless others stabbed and wounded. Where is the demand that anyone who carries a pocketknife occasionally have supplemental insurance and be licensed to do so by the state? Don't stabbings impose a burden on the socialized health care system too?

BH

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
And I don't know of any liability policy that would cover intentional acts. Maybe dce will chime in on that.

·
Super Moderator
26,973 Posts
More and more they are making us like Europe. Hunting and firearms insurance have been required here for a long time now. Heck, dog owners must carry liability insurance also. But that's a different subject.
All these gun bills being proposed, and some that passed already, look an awful lot like the laws in Germany.

I thought we bailed out of this continent once before. Now after 200+ years of being a successful nation, we're heading back to what we fought to leave

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
>And I don't know of any liability policy that would cover intentional acts.

It's my understanding that that is correct. I have an umbrella liability policy and almost called one time to ask about this subject but figured I would get a cancellation letter if I did.

Gino

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Now after 200+ years of being a successful nation, we're heading back to what we fought to leave
More than one Soviet leader supported the idea that they did not need to do anything to force us to adopt communism because we were adopting it ourselves and doing it willingly....

BH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anybody have a guess on what a $1,000,000 policy would cost?? Also, would this apply to all of your guns - or - would you have to get a policy for each individual firearm??

·
Registered
864 Posts
When NY posted something similar the quote for 1,000,000 was between 1600 to 2k a year.

If this was to pas I would open carry and not get a conceal.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
is rep is ron waters from phili and he has a whole bunch of changes he is sponsering that will hurt gun owners. some are subtle and seems like good ideas but are incremental changes that continue to erode our rights. other changes are like HB 521, which is a big leep to back door make it harder for people to conceal carry. check out his list of sponsed bills, especiall 517 - 521.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDocs/Legis/BS/bs_action.cfm?SessId=20130&Sponsors=H|191|0|Ronald%20G.%20Waters

1 - 12 of 12 Posts