The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
HOME DEPOT!!! Better lookin women! Who cares if they dont know a thing about what you are looking for, neither does the big burly man at Lowes so might as well enjoy the scenery!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Lowes. Only because it's closer. Actually I usually go to the local lumber yards. They are cheaper in most cases, and the service is better.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Lowes gives veterans a 10% discount,not sure if Home Depot gives that discount or not

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,173 Posts
Lowes because HD has too many hidden charges when you buy an appliance advertized on sale that border on "bait and switch". Just my experience with them. Wouldn't buy anything there on a bet!

Griz

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I use Lowes, they are close and I get the vets discount, however, trying to get assistance to find something or have questions answered is almost impossible. Its almost like the floor people can sense you need help and disapear.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
John S said:
I use Lowes, they are close and I get the vets discount, however, trying to get assistance to find something or have questions answered is almost impossible. Its almost like the floor people can sense you need help and disapear.
I second everything John said. I like the 10 percent vet discount but trying to find someone for help or to have questions answered is usually next to impossible.

About 9 or 10 years ago I actually left the Lowes in Altoona and drove to the Lowes in Johnstown and bought the $1800 lawn tractor I wanted. When leaving the Altoona Lowes I went to the customer service desk and asked for a manager. The guy at the counter said "I'm a manager". I said "Congratulations, you just lost a $2000.00 sale". Then I walked out.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Homer Depot does the 10% discount for vets as well. I go to both, one is by my nanny and one is by my home.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I'll shop them all based on my needs or a sale of what I may need.

But I prefer Lowe's over the Depot, only cause I have to pass Lowe's to get to the Depot.

2 minutes away from an Ace hardware for the quick fixes around the house.

5 minutes from a local family owned Lumber yard, 100% much better quality wood than Lowe's or Depot, their wood is junk with rotting knots in it.

15 minutes away from Lowe's
20 minutes away from the Depot.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
great white hunter said:
peep site said:
Lowes gives veterans a 10% discount,not sure if Home Depot gives that discount or not
Didn't know this, is there something I need to fill out or show to get the discount?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Its a mixed filling on the two. Would rather buy local but often they cant beat the prices. When I go its to Lowes typically. They have better building supplies ie pipe, treated lumber (never buy regular wood from them...bowed crap). Hd however I like their finished goods better most times ie tile, tubs, sinks.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I spend way more time in Lowe's, sometimes 3 trips in a day, because their just over a mile away (HD is 34). But Home Depot has a better selection for most categories that interest me. If Lowe's has 2 aisles of electrical, HD has 3; for example. HD has a cut your own and buy by the foot trim area, with again more profiles to choose from. So I voted for HD but it could simply be the building size that limits them.
Prices are pretty close, at least on lumber and trim. Both have given me a military discount without question, other than to show them a glance at the card of course.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Lowes and Home depot do not have a single piece of wood that is worth buying.

·
Registered
19,637 Posts
Each is a 30 min ride for me so for somethings they are almost interchangeable. I like Lowe's line of paints better then what HD carries. Lowe's has better wood products and plants and trees.
Can't bring myself to buy tools from either, to many people have issues with the tool and the warranty service.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts