The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the general consensus here about Lowe jon boats? I noticed that they started riveting and welding them and wonder what people who own them think about them after some use.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Lowes all-welded Roughneck aluminum jon boat's have a good reputation. I owned a Lund 1648MT Jon for about 5 years before I went to a Lund SSV but the Jon was about a solid of hull as you can find in a riveted jon boat. Even with the modified V you took a hard pounding in chop so I went to a Semi-V SST. Depends on where you're doing your boating on which way to go.

My Lund Jon:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, Loggy. I don't think I'm willing to spring the cash for the Roughneck line. Looking pretty strongly at their 1640 Jon, though. Just looking for something suitable for fishing smaller impoundments with a trolling motor and gain a little more usability and convenience over a canoe. Something basic like that seems to also lend itself to all kinds of modifications later if the urge occurs.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
That should do you fine Windsniffer. I used to only fish the Susquehanna River and local lakes with my Jon and it was more than enough boat. I started to fish mostly in the Chincoteague, VA back bays & decided I needed a lil more boat to handle the chop etc so went with a Lund SSV. A quality riveted jon will save you a lot $$ vs a welded and still do the job. My riveted Lund Jon held up good in fishing heavy rock structures etc. such a below Conowingo Hydroelectric plant plus was great running shallow waters.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Thanks for the input, Loggy. I don't think I'm willing to spring the cash for the Roughneck line. Looking pretty strongly at their 1640 Jon, though. Just looking for something suitable for fishing smaller impoundments with a trolling motor and gain a little more usability and convenience over a canoe. Something basic like that seems to also lend itself to all kinds of modifications later if the urge occurs.
Been a while. Ever get yourself a boat??

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Loggy, I did. I ended up with a G3 1448. I used the Covid-19 isolation time to install aluminum sheet metal carpeted floor, a bow mounted anchor lock, home-made rod holders, and two swiveling high back seats. This model impressed me with its skin thickness, welded joints, and overall dimensions. The wife and I have used it numerous times with total enjoyment. It is infinitely more stable and comfortable than the old canoe and a lot more convenient to haul and launch with the Shorelandr trailer. We've been propelling it with a MinnKota 55 trolling motor and marine battery that lasts all day, beats the heck out of paddling, and is a lot faster, too. All-in-all, it fulfills my needs perfectly. It really puts my mind at ease to not have to worry about being capsized every time some speed-demon roars past with a high HP outboard. I just finished building a PVC and wood rack with castors for winter storage so I can put it in my garage that is too short for the trailer. So far, it is all working out nicely. Thanks for your input and follow-up interest. I do appreciate that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts