The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into making my own wine for a while now, and figured I'd make a post. Anyone have any good websites to check out and read up on? Also, any good wine supply stores either around Pittsburgh or Altoona? Any info I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Scorpion,
I'm a newbie at this too, but have 5 gallons of cider in the works to make potent Apple Jack and maybe some wine. A couple buddies make wine and beer and are pretty good at it.

Oak Spring Winery just north of Altoona on old Rt 220 will have everything you need and a person to give advice

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
if you want to try something easy, buy 5 gallons of cider and 5 lbs of honey and a pack of cyser yeast from wyeast
(internet). warm up the cider enough to melt the honey and mix it real good and put it in your fermenter and add the wyeast after it cools below 100 degrees. rack it into the carboy after a couple of weeks and let it mellow and rack it a couple of times until its done. it is called cyser and it tastes like asti spumante.

·
Registered
172 Posts
south hills brewing supply has starter kits with everything you will need to get started, its on noblestown road across the street from wendys.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i know a few the closest i know is portersville brew house (correct me) then theres volant winery. make a honey wine (meade AKA mead) and its also pretty good!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have been making homemade wine for quite a while. Mostly fruits but I have also done concord grape and wild catawba grape as well as honey (mead), dandelion, tomato both red and green. When I first started I found this website and it is about as good as it gets.

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

It is a huge site with more information than you can absorb in a months reading. It is bookmarked on my computer and referred to often.

·
Registered
931 Posts
already got 2 1gallon jugs going. the recipe is simple. you use a 1 gallon ice tea jug an d use it as your fermenter, you attach a a big balloon that will stretch over the top, and you use that to collect the carbon dioxide.the balloon will start to inflate from it. after 6 weeks its ready or unless you want to let it sit and age more.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Anybody ever make any from the blackberries that are starting to ripen now? I've been seriously thinking about harvesting a couple gallons and trying to make some wine from them.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
ACEarcher said:
Anybody ever make any from the blackberries that are starting to ripen now? I've been seriously thinking about harvesting a couple gallons and trying to make some wine from them.
Your Blackberries are Rippening NOW?
All the places I pick Blackberries, they do not start to get ripe till the second week of July!
You sure they are not Black Raspberries?

I make Blackberry Wine....it always comes out GREAT...just use Extra amounts of Blackberries then what is needed per gallon...

I make 5 gallon batches at a time, my recipe per 1 gallon calls for 5 pounds...I use 40 pounds per 5 gallons and I boil my blackberries before putting them in the cheesecloth bag to start fermenting in the primary fermentor and I use maybe 2 cups of water to keep the berries from scortching on the bottom of the pot when I boil them...make it easier to press them cheese cloth bag by hand on the 7th day after starting the wine...

I also make a Black Raspberry/Wineberry/Blackberry wine that comes out Great, I use the same recipe that is for the blackberry wine for the 3 mixx wine!
If you want the recipe I have, I can PM it to you.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I would really like that please. I've always wanted to try and make some of my own wine. But, just not sure where to start
. Thank you for your help!

They might be black raspberries come to think about it, but yes I do have some alrealy turning in S.Lancaster and Bucks C.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Word to the wise. I make both beer and wine and for someone just starting out making either, I suggest making beer first. Making beer is easier and the process is a lot faster than making wine. I think of it this way, making beer is like the training wheels when learning how to ride a bike, the bike being the wine.
When I make my wine, usually out of concord grapes, I start by hand picking the grapes and washing them in cold water. I usually let the grapes sit in the cold water for an hour or two and then I being to squeeze the grapes to get out all the juice, the juice is contained in a big crock pot. Once all of the juice is extracted, I take the skins an put them into a cheese cloth like holder and place them in the juice. After that, the process is adding some ingredients and racking the wine usually about every two weeks up to a month or longer.

I know I left out a lot of steps but wine making is something you learn by doing. I could write out a 10 page paper on what ingredients to use, type of wines, how to store the bottles, equipment, etc.

As I stated earlier, if you want to make wine I suggest buying a beer kit and start there. Beer kits are chalked full of information learned when making wine.......

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Scorpion said:
I've been looking into making my own wine for a while now, and figured I'd make a post. Anyone have any good websites to check out and read up on? Also, any good wine supply stores either around Pittsburgh or Altoona? Any info I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
If your willing to travel to Altoona, then you might as well take a trip to Loretto. There is a wine/beer shop near Loretto and the guy who owns it really knows it stuff.......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts