The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.......no good, miserable, scum sucking, rassin frassin thieves!
My house in Sharon is on the market and actually sold at this point. The buyer is going to level it so I have all the salvage rights before closing. I got a call from the water company telling me they were shutting off the water due to high usage. I have a steam boiler and needed it to be running so the realator could show the house. I ran up to the house expecting the copper to be gone. I found someone kicked in a basement window over the wash tub and when they crawled in, they stepped on a faucet and broke it and flooded the laundry room. The so-and-so then proceed to go upstairs and steal the 8ft X 2ft stained glass window in my dining room and one of the four leaded, beveled glass windows in my living room, both circa 1920. My uncle and I got the rest of the leaded glass windows out and boarded up. I'm going back after work to get the beveled glass french doors and cabinet doors before they come back for them. With the market being as crappy as it is, especially here, I was counting on reselling much of what was in the house to make up what I'm losing on it (the house has beautiful 6" oak trim that still has the original finish on it along with crystal nobs on every door and drawer in the house)That stained glass window was worth some pretty good coin. The lady at my insurance company asked what the cost to replace was and I told her it wasn't like I could go to Lowes and pick up another one. Just makes you want to pummle someone.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I'd call the cops. I mean, that's B&E and vandalism is it not? Send them scum to jail or at leat take the action to give them a record. FWIW, back in the 60's when "redevelopment" was all the rage, there were tracts of housing in Squirrel Hill and McKeesport that fell victum. My dad got permits to remove certain items (bathroom sets mostly) and we would spend weekends removing these things and then sell them. Learned a lot about plumbing that way. Never thought about copper in them days.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to start stripping the house this weekend unless they beat me to it and get there first.

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
Buckethead said:
.......no good, miserable, scum sucking, rassin frassin thieves!
My house in Sharon is on the market and actually sold at this point. The buyer is going to level it so I have all the salvage rights before closing. I got a call from the water company telling me they were shutting off the water due to high usage. I have a steam boiler and needed it to be running so the realator could show the house. I ran up to the house expecting the copper to be gone. I found someone kicked in a basement window over the wash tub and when they crawled in, they stepped on a faucet and broke it and flooded the laundry room. The so-and-so then proceed to go upstairs and steal the 8ft X 2ft stained glass window in my dining room and one of the four leaded, beveled glass windows in my living room, both circa 1920. My uncle and I got the rest of the leaded glass windows out and boarded up. I'm going back after work to get the beveled glass french doors and cabinet doors before they come back for them. With the market being as crappy as it is, especially here, I was counting on reselling much of what was in the house to make up what I'm losing on it (the house has beautiful 6" oak trim that still has the original finish on it along with crystal nobs on every door and drawer in the house)That stained glass window was worth some pretty good coin. The lady at my insurance company asked what the cost to replace was and I told her it wasn't like I could go to Lowes and pick up another one. Just makes you want to pummle someone.
That's stinks,I hate liars and thieves and the law should allow for justifiable beatings.

Just be forewarned.The insurance will only pay the replacement cost if you actually replace the items.If you don't replace them,you'll get the actual cash value.They should send an adjuster that will come up with a value.Insurance companies hate vacant properties and they can give you a legitimate problem.As long as the utilities were still on,you'll most likely be ok.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I talked to my insurance company and they're sending out an adjustor. They groused at me for still having full coverage on the house since I wasn't living there. They told me I should have adjusted the policy to reflect that. I asked them how was I supposed to know that. I told them this is the first house I ever put on the market so I thought I was doing a wise thing by keeping the insurance on it until I sold it. These kind of burglaries and thefts are very common around here and windows like what I had taken are favored loot. Its also not uncommon around here for some fire bug to light up a vacant house. I've been checking the house regularly and found out through the water company this happened late Monday night/early Tuesday morning. I'm sure they'll try to pay the least amount possible. They gave me a run around after my house got broken into a couple years ago and all my wife's jewelry got stolen. They acted like it was my fault some scum bag kicked open the door and took my things. It took a pretty stern and candid conversation with a supervisor to get it straightened out. I've had the house over 15 years and this is only the second claim I have ever filed so they have gotten more of my money than I'll ever get of theirs.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More because they cut staff from 36 officers total, 4 detectives to 25 officers total and 2 detectives.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gary3414 said:
That is what happens when the city lets the best police officers move out of the city.
That doesn't explain the jerk who kicked in my door and stole my wife's jewelry three years ago, the crack head I caught stealing stuff off of my porch, the slashed tires and other damage to my personal vehicles over the years, the insults and threats yelled out of passing cars, the neighbors house getting shot up because they thought it was mine...shall I go on?

A couple of windows is a small price to pay for the right to move my family away from these things.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Buckethead, don't blame you a bit for the rant. Do you have pictures of the window etc that was taken? we have a lot of antique stores around here who buy stuff like that, with a pic a guy may be able to help find the thief.

Got anyone to "house sit" till you get it cleaned out?

Sure glad you got your family out of that mess.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
Apparently some sleezebag thought he had first salvage rights...Should not be too difficult to recover that window at some point,it will soon be for sale...

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Buckethead said:
gary3414 said:
That is what happens when the city lets the best police officers move out of the city.
That doesn't explain the jerk who kicked in my door and stole my wife's jewelry three years ago, the crack head I caught stealing stuff off of my porch, the slashed tires and other damage to my personal vehicles over the years, the insults and threats yelled out of passing cars, the neighbors house getting shot up because they thought it was mine...shall I go on?

A couple of windows is a small price to pay for the right to move my family away from these things.
Sounds like you left for the right reasons.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm fairly certain the windows ended up in Youngstown. There are several less than reputable salvage businesses over there that buy things like what I had stolen, no questions asked.

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
Parts of Youngstown are real crap holes.We were at a barrel race in Negley Ohio a couple years ago and I ended up in a gheto section of Youngstown after taking a wrong turn.I couldn't believe there were places like that out there.

The gene pool in this country has deteriorated to the point where things will never be the same.I hope you get to taze them at some point.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
look on craigslist and pennswoods.net classifieds in the bldg materials sections. you might find them there and get your chance to pummel them. i'd personally use a 28oz framing hammer for that job.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts