The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a shooting club that owns some property that holds deer in 5B. The property they own totals about 133 acres but only 40-50% of that at most is deer habitat. In the past 2 years, this club has held an archery hunt to help with the deer population on its property. I think the way they structure their hunts the past 2 years has not helped meet their initial goal of reducing the overall deer population. In this area, the antlerless : antlered is pretty out of line. There are plenty of doe, and I bet the ratio is at least 4:1 maybe 5:1.

Here are the “rules” for the hunt:

1) Each member enters a lottery for the hunt,
2) Lucky hunters who are drawn pick the WEEK they want to hunt,
3) Hunters also choose what LOCATION they want to hunt.

Here is my issue. Although I commend their desire to manage for a healthier deer herd, I believe the previous stipulations are not helping their cause. The problem is it is tough to win this lottery system. I don’t think the lucky hunters who are limited to a specific week and specific location are going to want to shoot doe given the great opportunity they have to hunt the property. If a hunter is limited, I would think it is reasonable to say that most hunters will be holding out for a buck.

Here is what I would suggest:

Let’s keep the lottery system. I fully agree that a lottery system is necessary because there are so many members of the club who want to hunt it. I think it still is reasonable to keep the location and week time frame stipulation, at least for early season. However, I would suggest implementing an “earn a buck” system. One option I believe would be benefitting their cause would be for this 2013-2014 season, hold a lottery for antlerless hunts only. Hunters who take one MATURE doe this year will automatically get a spot in the hunting rotation next year to shoot their buck. Hunters who shoot 2 MATURE doe this season get first pick next year for time and location for their “buck” hunt. Meanwhile, next year you keep the lottery for antlerless hunts so the following year you can have a set of new hunters on their “buck” hunts. This gives much more incentive to shoot a doe which will benefit the club’s initial goal. Another option is to select 75% of the hunts in the lottery for the 2012-2013 season as MATURE doe hunts. 25% of the hunts could be tickets sold for a separate drawing that can be for buck hunts. These tickets can be sold for a higher price so the club generates more revenue. All lottery winners might get bonus time in the late archery season.

I definitely think the club needs to structure their program better. Whether they implement one of my previous ideas, or some combination/modification, I think they would end up being more successful in reaching their goal!

·
4,242 Posts
Re: Archery Hunt for Healthy Herd

I think you are telling the wrong people your idea (unless there are members here) but I still like your idea.

I like earn a buck and in areas with a poor doe to buck ratio it is a good tool for management. (IMO)

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I don't know how many people on here belong to the club. But, I was trying to run the idea by a bunch of bowhutners to get their take on it...more like trying to understand if my idea had any merit or if it was just nonsense.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts

We have a policy at our place. You have to shoot a doe before you can shot a buck. It really has helped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts