The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned to fish multiple days this weekend but it didn't work out and I only fished on Saturday. Due to low water, I did a lot of driving between streams.

My original intent was make the extremely long walk into a favorite stream, which doesn't have a lot of trout, but it is always beautiful, and occasionally yields some big trout. However, due to the warm, humid weather, I decided against that. I drove to a nearby stream in the same watershed, which was lower than I would have liked, so I departed for a medium sized freestoner which is stocked but also has a good population of wild brown trout.

Unfortunately, when I arrived, there was a vehicle already there so I left without wetting a line.

I drove to yet another stream and it was even lower, but I decided to fish it anyway. I tried it for 45 minutes and caught three wild brown trout, including this monster, which taxed my medium light action rod. It made me wish I had used braided line.

I'm sure it was attracted by the flash of my spinner.

The nicest trout of the three was this 11 1/4 incher.

He came from this pool, which was by far the nicest spot I encountered while I was on that stream.

I returned to the first stream I had looked at, figuring it wasn't so low after all.
I waded in a short distance above the mouth. The action was fast to start but quickly slowed. The first five trout I caught were wild browns.
The brown trout brigade was interrupted by this colorful wild rainbow.

A little while later, an 8 inch native brook trout became the third wild species I had caught. Since so few streams have all three wild species in PA, it's always a special treat.

My next trout was the largest trout of the day to that point, a 12 1/2 inch wild brown.

As I moved upstream, I encountered scenic stretches that I knew well.

I caught more trout of all three species, including this native brookie.

I fished upstream a considerable distance before deciding to climb the bank to the logging road that paralleled the stream. As I started up the bank, I heard a noise I had never heard before. It was a high pitched call that the animal made over and over. Not knowing what it was, I stopped to see if the animal would show itself. After a couple of minutes, a black bear stood up on its hind legs and looked at me. It was about 50-60 yards away.
I returned to the creek bottom and walked downstream, still hearing the high pitched sounds for a short distance. After about a 1/4 mile of walking the creek, I climbed the bank to the logging road, keeping an eye out for the bear. I didn't see or hear it anymore. I wondered if the sound it was making was a call to its young.

At that point I had caught 24 trout in stream #2; 10 wild browns, 7 wild rainbows, and 7 native brook trout. The biggest trout was a 12 1/2 inch brown.

I made the long walk back to my car and took a break before walking down to the main creek.
The first fish I caught was a small fallfish.
A large brown followed my spinner twice without hitting. I fished upstream for 1 1/2 hours and only caught five trout; 3 wild browns, 1 wild rainbow, and 1 native brookie, so on the day I was able to catch three wild species from two different streams. The largest trout of the day was a 14 inch brown, which came from stream #3.

Overall, I caught 32 trout in 6 1/2 hours, all on spinners.

I had planned to fish today, but I stayed up last night to watch the Penguins win game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals, so when the alarm rang early this morning, I turned it off and went back to sleep. Maybe I will fish tomorrow.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
I wondered if the sound it was making was a call to its young.
My guess is the high-pitched sound was the sound being made by whatever the Bear was in the process of killing and eating ? Fawn ?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible I suppose, but it went on for longer than I think it would take for a bear to kill a fawn.

·
20,165 Posts
That is hands down the smallers trout I've ever seen on a spinner. I've caught some small ones but never one that is clearly only 2-3 months old. WOW!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trout 2003 said:
That is hands down the smallers trout I've ever seen on a spinner. I've caught some small ones but never one that is clearly only 2-3 months old. WOW!
I put in a call to Jeremy Wade, but he was busy, so it won't make the next episode of River Monsters.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm surprised the heat from your line didn't burn out the guides of your rod during the fight of that trout in your first photo. Looks like it might have been a keeper, too. It's going to take a lot of filets that size to make a meal.

The 12.5" wild brown is a beautiful fish.

Congrats on the three wild species, though I imagine you expected it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
That is definitely a small fish! Pretty neat about the bear but in your position being alone, I could see it as worrisome for sure.

Nice pics Andy. Did you take them with your phone?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
troutspinner said:
That is definitely a small fish! Pretty neat about the bear but in your position being alone, I could see it as worrisome for sure.

Nice pics Andy. Did you take them with your phone?
Thanks! I took the picture of the monster trout with my phone but the rest with my digital camera.

Generally, bears give people a wide berth, but they can be unpredictable, so I treat them with caution. I had a female that had two cubs run at me a few years ago, which was more than a little unsettling.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FrankTroutAngler said:
I'm surprised the heat from your line didn't burn out the guides of your rod during the fight of that trout in your first photo. Looks like it might have been a keeper, too. It's going to take a lot of filets that size to make a meal.

The 12.5" wild brown is a beautiful fish.

Congrats on the three wild species, though I imagine you expected it.
Thanks Frank, I did expect all three species, but not from both streams. I rarely catch brook trout in the lower part of the last stream.

·
Premium Member
24,179 Posts
Nice fish!!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
troutdoorsman said:
That first trout is incredible. I wonder how many times you casted it back out before realizing there was a fish on there..
I knew when I brought it in because I check the hooks after every cast to make sat here is no grass or other debris on them.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
Begs the question. How many of you guys carry a handgun when on these outings ? If I would hazard a guess, not many of you, perhaps none ? Some of you really get "remote", and you should have adequate protection. A whizzed off Bear can provide a person plenty of problems. And it doesn't matter why it's whizzed off. Your chances of survival will be severely reduced, if you're incapacitated in a very remote setting. Those of you that don't, should think about carrying. It only takes one instance.

And ya, I know all about the "You're more likely to get attacked by a ........."

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fleroo said:
Begs the question. How many of you guys carry a handgun when on these outings ? If I would hazard a guess, not many of you, perhaps none ? Some of you really get "remote", and you should have adequate protection. A whizzed off Bear can provide a person plenty of problems. And it doesn't matter why it's whizzed off. Your chances of survival will be severely reduced, if you're incapacitated in a very remote setting. Those of you that don't, should think about carrying. It only takes one instance.

And ya, I know all about the "You're more likely to get attacked by a ........."
I have a gun but do not have a carry permit. Like some of you, I worry more about scary encounters with people more than wild life. The gun that I have wouldn't make much of an impression on a bear other than possibly the noise. It reminds me of the great line by Gene Wilder in the movie Blazing Saddles, "No, no. Don't do that. If you shoot him, you'll only make him mad."

I have bear spray but rarely take it with me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts