The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty happy and optimistic about the second round doe tags. I dropped mine in the mail box then came home and checked and find that there is 4200 2F tags still available. Over 5000 1B tags still for sale. This is great. Could be a two for 2F year. Somebody said we might have that chance in another tread so whoever that was you were right. . I know they uped the 2F tags by about 3000 this year but still most years they would be gone. And 1B tags were cut this year and there is still plenty for sale. Going to be a pretty good deer season. I'm guessing even less hunters than last few years.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Taking away the extra 8000 tags they added this year to my pet WMU, we still have about 6000 more tags available than this time last year...
Something's definitely going on... like you said, either way fewer hunters this year (despite early claims of increased sales) or perhaps a ton of late applications?
Who knows where that dust will settle..... but for now, it looks like I stand a pretty good shot at a 3rd tag there if trends hold...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
My app went out in the morning mail!

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
It has been trending about 100,000 fewer in first round since the 1988 level of 550,000. This year it is in the 130,000 ballpark.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm guessing and its just that, opinion, experienced guessing, no data or anything to back this up, but I think its two factors in play. The first, CWD. Lot of guys skiddish about eating an infected deer. And I do not mean to turn this thread into a CWD debate. I'm just saying some guys are not deer hunting because of that. Second, a lot of the bow hunters don't shoot does and quite a few of today's deer hunter are bow hunters.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
I'm guessing and its just that, opinion, experienced guessing, no data or anything to back this up, but I think its two factors in play. The first, CWD. Lot of guys skiddish about eating an infected deer. And I do not mean to turn this thread into a CWD debate. I'm just saying some guys are not deer hunting because of that. Second, a lot of the bow hunters don't shoot does and quite a few of today's deer hunter are bow hunters.
You raised some very valid points there Buckskin Dave. It will not impact me as far as eating venison but I lost my Mrs plus kidos at the venison dinner table irregardless of ole Loggy's unconvincing arguments!!:surprise2:

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You raised some very valid points there Buckskin Dave. It will not impact me as far as eating venison but I lost my Mrs plus kidos at the venison dinner table irregardless of ole Loggy's unconvincing arguments!!:surprise2:
I'm sorry to hear that Loggy. They are missing some good meals for no reason. My whole family is still eating deer. Every time my son or daughter comes over they swipe some of my ground venison. Of the three I killed last year and the two my daughter shot maybe six one pound bags of burger left. Oct. can't come quick enough.:smile_big:

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
Actually I don't think there are fewer antlerless hunters buying licenses this year if you factor in all of the facts.

Statewide the antlerless sales are down about 16,000 compared to last year. But, if you add in the increased number of DMAPs sold this year, some of them due to increased sales in DMAs and others just because of the increased use by various landowners, the number of antlerless hunters is probably about the same as in past years. The DMAPs have become the go to antlerless license for many non-residents since the non-residents can get them as soon as they go on sale the same as residents can. Both resident and non-resident hunters are opting for DMAP over antlerless licenses because they can use the DMAP permits during the first week of the deer season instead of having to wait until the second Saturday to take a doe.

As for the comment about 2G usually being sold out by now....that simply isn't true. AS of right now 2G has sold more than at this time last year. Last year 2G didn't sell out until the Wednesday after the second round opened.

Nope, I think antlerless sales are right on schedule when you factor in all of the equation.

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 20 of 122 Posts