The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have bought 2 acres surrounded by family's 40. I'm clearing a space for our house now. This whole area has shelves and plenty of hard / soft edges. Real nice for holding game. This unfortunately is in the yard of the house. I want to keep the animals close when it's all said and done. What trees should I absolutely cut which have little value for habitat and what ones would you guys really try to keep if at all possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Ash trees for one. They are all dying from some type of bug and maybe you can make a little money from a logger

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I agree on the ash ,may I suggest talking to a forestry consultant or a logger . They can answer your questions and maybe help you find someone to take your trees down and market them for you.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It's 2 acres... Clear it off, sew a nice yard, and plant a few dozen fruit trees. If you're planning on hunting off the back porch don't expect deer to just linger in your yard.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
We have about an acre and half clear for cabin ,yard, septic and well with woods all around and deer come around quite often to feed on the grass and small orchard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All of the Ash trees and any tall enough to hit the house if they fall. 2 acres isn't enough to do much with in reality...Sew a nice big yard and develop a 8 tree apple orchard is what I would do....anything other than that would be ridiculous IMHO...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I'm also able to cut into those 40 acres that surround me. The fruit trees sound like a nice idea.

Anyone have ideas how to get rid of stumps if I'm the one ripping them out?

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm also able to cut into those 40 acres that surround me. The fruit trees sound like a nice idea.

Anyone have ideas how to get rid of stumps if I'm the one ripping them out?
Keep plenty of salt on those stumps and the critters will eventually knaw them away..

·
Registered
12,155 Posts
As for stumps. Do you have time before the stumps need to be removed? If so, for smaller cherry, maple or poplar, I cut them off about a yard high and let nature rot out the roots. In two or three years, you can use what it standing to lever them over and the roots just break off. If you are talking now type removal, get an excavator in to take down the trees and the stumps will come along. When I built a house two years ago, the excavator was able to pull the trees stumps and all in less time than it would have taken me to fire up the chain saw. (he was the same guy who a month later dug the foundation. ) There were two black walnut trees about 20 inches in diameter and he took them out roots and all in just a few seconds each. He used a large bulldozer and when he pushed on the trees, lowered the bucket enough to scrape out the stumps with the trunks. It was incredible and well worth it. Even he said trying to dig stumps is more difficult than just getting the whole thing at one shot. I purchased a used 4wd John Deere backhoe about 12 years ago. One of the best investments I made for here on the farm. I can plow my third mile long driveway with ease. I can dig trenches for water and electrical lines, load a half cord of wood in the bucket. etc. Even with my back hoe removing stumps is not easy.

If you can, put your utilities under ground. I dug the trench for the Cable, electric and phone, all 648 feet from the nearest pole. I had to pay for the electric company to run their wire, but the cable and phone companies ran their stuff for free.

We have a small ash tree to the side about 30 feet from the house. The excavator made a big deal out of making sure that tree stayed.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
The salt method of tree stump removal is very slow, the direct push method works much better.
Like Zimmerstutzen 14 years ago when I built my house I picked up a Case that had been on lease, figured I would clear what I needed, dig foundations for house and garage,underground utilities but let the well and septic people do their own digging and use it to move topsoil and material then sell it.
I still have it, best toy I ever brought.
I had so many trees I didn't need to plant anything, just figure out what I wanted to remove, and how I could use some of the existing mature trees in my site design.

If you wanted to remove the stumps you can rent a grinder, but they can be backbreaking depending what kind you rent.
Good Luck, designing, prepping and building your own home is something you will look back on with pride for many years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts