The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my dad and I lost three tri color beagles today near New Florence. We were along Clay Pike Rd. near the Conemaugh Valley Beagle Club. All three are wearing e-collars. One blue, one, red, and one black collar. Two were wearing leather collars and name tags (my dad's information) and one was wearing an orange collar with a PA dog license attached. We last heard them in the woods about 400 yds off the road before the storm moved in and forced us to stop looking. I'm pretty sure they were running on a coyote or fox and they wouldn't return when called. Their kennels and a tarp were left at the parking lot in hopes that they will return overnight.

If you see them, please let me know via PM. I am also more than willing to listen to advice and reassurances because right now I'm losing my mind that my pups are out in this storm overnight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We're you hunting the power plant property? I live close to there and just trying to figure out exactly where I should be watching out for them.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes we were. Not on the power plant side, on the other side of the road not too far from where Gamble Rd meets Clay Pike is where we lost them. Worried mostly about coyotes and the cold weather coming in. Hopefully they will just hunker down for the night :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm headed over that way this morning. I will take a ride through there and let you know if I see anything. Hopefully they will be in your crate when you get back there.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I `ve had that happen to me a few times years ago when I raised and hunted with beagles. Chances are they most likely bumped a deer or coyote and took off after it. If you had ID and phone numbers on their tags,you should get them back, they usually track a deer a mile or 2 and then give up, eventually they will end up on someones property and they will give you a call to let you know they have them.That`s what happened to me, with my hounds. I always got a call from some honest homeowner that they had them.....Keep the faith psycho...you will get them back...Let us know how it goes and good luck bunny hunten this season..... `

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Did you contact the police or the people who rescue dogs to see if they were turned in?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We got one of the back. Two of them were barking in the woods near where they got lost and one came back. Still have to contact shelters.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry it was a bit tough to keep everyone updated since we were in the woods all day. We did manage to find one of the dogs yes. We found Daisy. She was near the area that we started yesterday with her brother Cooper (he is my pup). She and Cooper were barking in the field where we started, presumably chasing a rabbit or what we now suspect were turkeys. Cooper gave us the slip again, and we have yet to hear anything from Belle. Talked to a local lost dog help group and it sounds like they are just being shy to come back because of last night's storm. Belle is the one my wife and I are most worried about since we aren't sure if she was with the other dogs or not. The lost dog group has volunteered to help us by setting out some food traps to try and bring them in. I was told that this method has a pretty high success rate, so hopefully we can find the other two in the next couple days.

I'm fairly certain they originally got after a flock of turkeys that were just running out ahead of them. They were going intermittently, almost like the birds were flying out ahead of them and landing. My dad's two are known turkey chasers so it wouldn't surprise me if that's what it was, but who knows. It doesn't feel right leaving my buddy out in the woods :'(

·
Registered
714 Posts
I hope all works out for you. A few years ago, I found a beagle that someone had lost the day before and sure enough it was sitting right at the gate where the owner had originally parked waiting for him.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Speaking from experience, beagles are strong willed and hard headed. They were the easiest breed to lose, but they always turn up. You’ll have em back in the next couple days.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate the reassurances. When you lose them like this it's easy to jump to the worst conclusions I suppose. Still really worried about my dad's dog since we haven't heard her today and she is pretty scared of thunderstorms. At least I know mine made it through okay last night so it's reasonable to assume he will be okay for another night :(

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Glad to hear you got 1 back. Hopefully the lost dog group is able to help. We have a really good one where I live and I'm amazed at the success they have had with those traps.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
I had one gone for 8 days. He showed up a farm house a 1/2 mile from where he took off on a red fox. Off topic, I had a house cat ( it never was outside, it was declawed ) push a window screen out, fell 15 feet to the ground. I caught it in a baited box trap 3 weeks later by my garage. My wife thought she would never see that cat again. I’d really like to know what it was up to during those 3 weeks. Other than a couple attached ticks, it was no worse for the wear.

It’s not bitter cold out, a dog could go weeks before it starved, plenty of water to drink. A coyote can find far easier meals than your beagles. I know it’s hard, but I have total confidence you’ll get them back soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts