The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad was running his two dogs near Seward, PA today and they managed to give him the slip again. A local man confirmed that they went past his house and he believes they were chasing a deer. Last spotted around 4:30 PM near where Charles road meets Route 403 (Cramer Pike). Two beagles, one wearing a red e-collar, one wearing a black e-collar. One is wearing a leather collar, the other a red collar. Both collars have contact information for my dad. Both dogs very friendly, will most likely come to anyone that is holding some food. We alerted the surrounding homes, but posting here in case anyone is in the woods in that area. A local club has a coyote tournament going on right now, so if anyone runs across them while hunting coyotes please let us know. It is also possible they were chasing a coyote. If anyone wants further info feel free to reply / PM me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My dad was running his two dogs near Seward, PA today and they managed to give him the slip again. A local man confirmed that they went past his house and he believes they were chasing a deer. Last spotted around 4:30 PM near where Charles road meets Route 403 (Cramer Pike). Two beagles, one wearing a red e-collar, one wearing a black e-collar. One is wearing a leather collar, the other a red collar. Both collars have contact information for my dad. Both dogs very friendly, will most likely come to anyone that is holding some food. We alerted the surrounding homes, but posting here in case anyone is in the woods in that area. A local club has a coyote tournament going on right now, so if anyone runs across them while hunting coyotes please let us know. It is also possible they were chasing a coyote. If anyone wants further info feel free to reply / PM me.
Oh man. Not again. It happens.
Seriously, look into a used GPS collar ( you already have a Shock collar, so a Garmin 320 will be perfect , you can get them reconditioned at collar clinic.
Good luck

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
Beagles are the most hard headed critter on the face of the earth. They got a mind of their own.Like I said last fall....they’ll turn up in a day or three.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I think my dad is planning to get the GPS collars. Honestly right now they are just a bit out of my price range; I would love to have them but my dogs don't pull this when they aren't running with his dogs, so I usually don't have to worry about it. I will upgrade to GPS collars when I can; he needs to upgrade his ASAP...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I just sold a nice, perfectly operating Astro 220 unit with a DC30 collar & a DC40 collar to a guy for his hounds for $265. Your dad needs to get gps and end this.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course all of you are right. Even 1000$ seems like cheap insurance now. We found one of the dogs along the railroad tracks. She is alive but was hit, most likely by a train, and is in critical condition at our vet's office. She is under observation for the next 24 hours to decide whether she is going to make it or not. No sign of the other one; we are hoping that they were separated and she wasn't near the tracks as well. We walked several miles of the tracks near where she was found and no sign of the second dog. Mine will be getting GPS collars before they are able to hit the field again. Our hunting season is officially over :(

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Yeah I think my dad is planning to get the GPS collars. Honestly right now they are just a bit out of my price range; I would love to have them but my dogs don't pull this when they aren't running with his dogs, so I usually don't have to worry about it. I will upgrade to GPS collars when I can; he needs to upgrade his ASAP...
Glad to see somebody admit that something is out of their price range. Quick solutions while saving for collars could be, do not run with his dogs, and if the dogs are running trash break them. Back years ago we ran without GPS, and it was important to trash break dogs and today its easier with shockers. You may be a colledge student or have a young family, keep your priorities in line and get your collars when you can. Trash break the dogs and enjoy them. Good runnin.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it's one of those things that after last time, we didn't have any more problems and we became complacent on it. Figured the dogs had learned not to take off like this. But dogs are dogs and they do what they do I guess, and now we are paying for our complacency. Hopefully we will find the other one and the one we found will recover. Had I expected this to happen I would have definitely put more effort into trash breaking. Last time we assumed turkeys. Now I'm not so sure and am really starting to suspect they were chasing deer.

It's odd though; we jump deer all the time hunting rabbits and 99% of the time they don't chase deer. I find it hard to believe it was a deer, but the guy who saw the dogs chasing was so sure. I just don't know what to think. If it's coyotes I'm not sure how to break them. Coyotes really aren't readily available for avoidance training. If any of you are the praying type and don't mind praying for dogs... I would appreciate prayers for safe return of the one pup and recovery for the other. And for my dad, whose nerves have to be at their limit by now.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Prayers sent psb, so sorry to hear about your pup. Hope she recovers and you find the other dog soon and well.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other one was seen not too far from where he originally lost her. We are hoping to find her tomorrow some time. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We did get confirmation it was a deer. I appreciate offers to help break them. I do have some experience trash breaking from deer, I just never imagined that's what they were chasing. It's so odd that most days we go out and they won't go near them. I think they probably got a look at it in the green briars and just took off. Now that I know for sure what they were chasing, when the little one gets back she is getting some INTENSE deer avoidance training. I may take you guys up on the offer. Once I find her I may be sending out some PMs. I broke my oldest dog off of deer when he was about three and he won't even run the same trail as a deer any more, so hopefully we can get the pup trained off of them as well. I seriously do appreciate the support and willingness to help!

Reactions: OAWC

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Good luck recovering the lost pup and the recovery of the injured one.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Sure hope you find your Dad's Beagles. I presently have one a year and a half old. Would be terrible to lose him. I feel for your Dad. Hope you guys find them.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry this is turning into a bit of a blow by blow but I feel like news should be shared. I contacted the vet's office and it seems that the injured pup has been greeting the staff when they come in, getting up to her feet, drinking water, and eating a small bit. They said there are definitely still no guarantees at this point, which I completely understand, but to me the signs are encouraging. I appreciate the prayers and thoughts for us through this one. I have always believed there is power in it and hopefully it will see us through the night and into tomorrow. It means a great deal to me that folks here are willing to intercede on our behalf.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts