The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you feel that with all the mass shootings and gun crimes that seem to keep popping up with unbelievable regularity that the gun rights of sportsman will start to decline. It just keeps going on and on without end. Pretty soon the honest, law abiding citizen will have a harder time keeping the right to gun ownership and hunting.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
My real opinion by the new year this will all be old news.
The noise makers from new York will try to press their bills and agendas. But nothing will see a vote.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
In nearly all instances of mass killings in the recent past, the shooter has been found to have some sort of mental issue. It has also been determined that the shooter was under some sort of care by the medical profession.

Yet, they were not reported as per the gun laws by the same medical community. The laws are on the books. The problem is the mechanics of reporting those deemed a danger is not working.

The controversial part is going to need to be looked at as well. Like a felon, should the household of a above reported person be free of guns? It would not necessarily require the removal of gun rights from the rest of the household, but at a minimum, it would require storing guns and ammo in a place outside the home.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
hunter4095 said:
My real opinion by the new year this will all be old news.
The noise makers from new York will try to press their bills and agendas. But nothing will see a vote.

Don't count on it. Feinstein is going to introduce bans on firearms and magazines as soon as the 2013 session begins. She already said so. The libs are going to do it in the House too. The left never lets a tragedy go unexploited.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The New Year will bring in new faces and I do not think this issue will go away. Many issues and no easy answers but I do believe the discussions are needed. Changes are coming and all should be part of this process.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
There is a process in all of this. A 1000 bolls can be introduced, but to become law there are many steps.

Everyone needs to be involved in this.

No one can allow the heavy lifting to be done by others. Being involved is as easy as talking to your neighbors and co-workers on the pro gun issues and topics. One on one communication with others is effective and engages them in more than the headlines.

That sways opinion.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
It's easy for those who fear guns to blame guns. Their misconceptions are being repeated all over the news. adjectives like "arsenal" "fully automatic" and "large caliber" have been used to describe the guns used in this horrific crime.

Most of those who fear guns don't know one type of gun from another. The media will exaggerate their fears.

I think they will at the very least reinstall the assalt weapons ban.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
As the left pushes toward more gun control, the issue of Hollywood needing to tone it down should be brought to the table. They like to blame the NRA but their hands have stink on them.

It has always made me laugh when they call for a boycott of a product or store about supporting firearms issues, and then failing to do the same thing in the electronics section.

With mental illnesses, alot of cases expose how much hands are tied ..all the way down the line. In many cases, it's wait for a crime to happen before they can do anything. This is another area that need to be assessed.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
Part of the problem, is the rights possessed by the mentally ill. My neighborhood was terrorized by a mental patient. He was 46 years old. Had been involuntarily committed at least two dozen times. He walked up and down the road with an axe, threatening to kill people, did the same with an air rifle. he chased a lady with a chain saw, phoned threats to a local auction house, the township, because he wanted the name of a road changed, and to the local public schools because he wanted a bus stop changed. He called my house every morning at 6:00 am for a week, complaining that my cattle were in his yard. (I had no cattle at the time) He had 17 firearms and routinely fired shots down across the neighboring properties. We got together and complained to the police, to the state legislator and the county mental health authorities. We were constantly told that there was nothing that could be done, because he had "rights." When he got mad at the electric company for shutting off his electric, he piled brush up against a utility pole and lit the brush pile. Even though he was video taped doing this, he was charged but the prosecution was dropped for mental issues. He was finally put away for molesting a nine yr old. Six years it took and ruining the life of a young child, because he had rights.

A friend's adult son has mental problems and trying to get help and it is next to impossible.He has taken all the guns and meds out of the house and was told he has to wait until the kid harms himself or tries to harm somebody else before the kid can be committed.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
mossie said:
How many of you feel that with all the mass shootings and gun crimes that seem to keep popping up with unbelievable regularity that the gun rights of sportsman will start to decline. It just keeps going on and on without end. Pretty soon the honest, law abiding citizen will have a harder time keeping the right to gun ownership and hunting.
This will have no impact on the ownership of sporting arms such as ones we normally hunt with here in PA..

Over 25 years ago H.R. 4332 banned fully autos(machine guns etc) in 1986. Can you imagine if the CT shooter had one?? How has that ban impacted our ownership of sporting arms over the last quarter century??

I'm a Life Member of the NRA and have always voiced my opposition to the legality of hi-capacity assult type weapons just knowing this would eventually come back & bite us in the XXXX...which it did. The 10 year ban should never of been lifted IMO. Now we unfortunately gotta deal with the consequences.

We may have won the little battle on legalizing assult type weapons but now will sadly loose the war.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The president of our country and his cronies had a gun agenda even before this happened. This will make it a lot easier for them, because normal people will use their hearts not their brains to make decisions on gun ownership. I am surprised that nothing has come out of the United Nations on this. Shame what this great country has become.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Ok let's say that assult type weapons are baned and taken away from everyone, does anyone believe this would stop the next attack? I don't own these weapons it would be easy for me to say take them away.

Next time maybe the attacker will use a pump or semi-auto shotgun with buckshot, then what will we be willing to give up to appase those who fear guns?

The problem is there is no rationl solution for a irratonal act, but that dosen't stop those who believe their is from looking for something or someone to blame.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Count on something passing and large capacity mags will be banned. I personally see no need for handguns with 15+ round mags and rifles with 30+. If you can't hit with a few rounds not likely to have a good hit when spraying and praying.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
rflktrman said:
Count on something passing and large capacity mags will be banned. I personally see no need for handguns with 15+ round mags and rifles with 30+. If you can't hit with a few rounds not likely to have a good hit when spraying and praying.
Yea, but what is the difference between a 30 round mag, and 4 10 round mags?? a few seconds is all it takes to drop a mag, throw another in and charge the gun..........it isn't a matter of high capacity mags or anything of the sort, it is a matter of crazy people that know they have a safe haven that they can go play shoot em' up, with no consequence.......

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Retired Donkey said:
The president of our country and his cronies had a gun agenda even before this happened. This will make it a lot easier for them, because normal people will use their hearts not their brains to make decisions on gun ownership. I am surprised that nothing has come out of the United Nations on this. Shame what this great country has become.
I am not an Obama fan but he has done nothing during his term to pass any gun ban. Zero....

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Why is the NRA silent on this, Why hasn't Ted Nugent said anything... I will tell you why this time the entire system failed and little children, babies lost their lives at school.
Trust me I am a gun owner and own over 25 guns however I do not own one of these semi-auto rifles. Why I dont need one or have a use for one.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
rflktrman said:
Yea, but what is the difference between a 30 round mag, and 4 10 round mags?? a few seconds is all it takes to drop a mag, throw another in and charge the gun..........it isn't a matter of high capacity mags or anything of the sort, it is a matter of crazy people that know they have a safe haven that they can go play shoot em' up, with no consequence.......
So you are telling me you can shoot 4, 10 round mags just as fast as a 30 round clip? NO WAY.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Maybe they are waiting for the killers guns to at least cool off before they swarm to cameras, and respecting the victims lives for at least a week.

I trust they know what they're doing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts