The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 50cal hawken flintlock wene i put powder in the pan and tilt the gun to the left the powder spills down into the stock through a small gap between the barrell and the pan at the touchhole. this never happened before this year.the gun is over 20yrs old.i took everything apart and put back together made sure everything was tight.and still have the problem.any suggestions? has this ever happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
This is a very serious safety problem. You have to get that pan right up agianst the touch hole area. If that powder leaks into the lock action and ignites you could lose part of your face. Are you sure all the screws holding the lock are tight?? make sure!!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
dave, see this thread...i have the same problem as a replacement barrel I just put in is just a tad smaller than the orignal and was given some good solutions to the same exact problem.

my post

Good luck this season!

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Some wood may have warped or something to cause that gap or something is out of place on the interior works of the lock causing it to stand off the mortise and as such causing the gap.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Try "honing" out the wood on the inner sides where your whole pan, frizzen, ext fits into the stock. Be careful not to take too much wood out. This will allow it to be tighter agianst the stock. Had the same problem this year, fixed it up pretty good.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
This is my reply on the thread mentioned above. It can be very dangerous.

I have/had, the very same issue with my .50 Traditions. I was losing pan powder and not realizing it though. It became a BIG PROBLEM that I realized was happening when I cocked back to take a shot at a Deer. Upon cocking the hammer, it did not stay in the "cocked position", and it let loose. Of course flint hits frizzen and BOOM. Could of cared less about missing a chance at a Deer, but very concerned as to why it happened. Got it home and found that all the pan powder that was gunking and accumulating over the years prevented the hammer from staying back. As you can probably now surmize, I never used to take the lock mechanism off the gun for a thorough cleaning at years end. Now I do. Be careful and check it at years end.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I had to get the stock on my deer stalker replaced last year and the gap was alot bigger than before and I am also loosing powder if I don't keep the gun level. Guy at the shop told me to remove some wood so the lock is inlet alittle bit more. This is my winter project right after late season ends. The lock is REALLY tight in the stock so maybe just alittle touch up of the lock edges will do the trick?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I had the same problem with my Deerstalker. For a quick fix, you can make a gasket out of leather to seal the hole till the season is over and you can fix it properly.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I had the same problem on a older flinter:well there is 2 ways to go if you can try in-letting the lock deeper or use some glass bedding between the lock and stock.
I used [email protected] weld just be sure to use some type of release agent.I would let it set-up about 4 hours and remove and let it cure for 24 hours before using it.
[email protected] has a high temp: rating

·
Registered
695 Posts
Dave
You don't need a new gun (don't tell the girl friend) just inlet the lock deeper into the stock till the lock plate is flush with the barrel.If you don't feel comfortable trying it yourself it is an easy job for any competent gunsmith.
TC will fix for free but you won't have your gun for a while

·
Banned
900 Posts
Sell the gun to me and get yer new one!!
I like the way your GF thinks!! The wife bought me a Traditons Trapper flint pistol kit this year. Gotta get it reday for next year!! Keep that GF in mind for that marriage thing. She's got the right frame of mind!!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
This is a common problem that many people never notice. If the wood on your rifle is'nt properly treated then it will get damp and swell causing a gap. The problem can be fixed by removing the lock, smoothing out the excess wood, treating the wood and reassembling it. A lot of people don't realize the lock should be removed every time you clean your rifle. They will last a lot longer than we will if properly maintained.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
you can take the gun to copperstonw trading post he can fix the problem or sell you a new gun he is not far from you if you need directions let me know

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have fixed several rifles with that gap by very carefully removing wood to inlet the lock deeper. I have even used a dremel tool to even up the frizzen to lessen the crack between the frizzen and the pan. You can lose powder from there too. To do that I removed the lock and used a candle to blacken the part of the frizzen that covers the pan and closed the frizzen this lets a black mark on the pan rim where the frizzen is touching. Going very slow I take a very little off that spot and do it all over again till there is no crack anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts