The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Losing my hunting ground here!

4K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  BCozhunter 
#1 ·
Intentionally! My "lease" for the hunting area runs out 31 March, and I'm not renewing again. Because...
After six years, it's time to pack up the German hunter greens, and don the cammo again. I'm finally coming back to the good old USA!!!

Got the official job offer on Thursday, and we should be home on time for Memorial Day! The only downside is that we will be living in Virginia, and not PA. But the offer was too good to say no, and I do believe there is hunting there

I have been doing a lot of reflecting recently on my time here, and I almost always end up thinking most about the hunting I was able to experience. What strikes me the most is how different hunting here is, yet at the same time it is very much the same. Methods and traditions are very indicative of the German culture, but when I talk with another hunter we speak the same language.
To say I enjoyed the hunting opportunities here would be a gross understatement. It's difficult to describe, but simply put; I had one heck of a time

But I am ready to change my title from Deutsche Jäger, to American Hunter

See less See more
#4 ·
That tradition is very much alive, at least here in Germany.
I felt kinda silly the first time I did that, but now understanding their traditions and ways a little better I kinda like the practice. May even keep it going when I'm back in the States.
And, saying Waidmannsheil will definitely stay with me!

#12 ·
I'm working on putting together a photo walking tour through my hunting area here in Germany, to post sometime in the next few days.
A few weeks back I was out just for a hike through there and had this overwhelming feeling that it was coming to an end soon, so I started snapping some photos for memories in the future.

#14 ·
Bcoz,

CONGRATS on the new job and the trip back home to the states. This country certainly needs more families like yours here and I could not be happier for all of you. I am sure the Mrs will like it over here.

I do have one problem with your post though...I mean we carried you thru for 6 years with all this talk about hunting in PA while you are across the ocean, and now you are going to hunt VA???
...don't let a few hours in a car disconnect you now from your PA hunting heritage when an ocean couldn't, you want to hunt the heart of PA, it is one phone call away.

Unless the hunting down there is really good, then I expect a phone call...

Glad to "have you back" brother....Safe travels and WELCOME HOME, good news indeed.

#15 ·
Welcome home!

Great hunting in Virginia. 4000 ft. mountains in the west, the Blue Ridge in the middle and swampy farms in the east and south. The early muzzle loader season is mid November, peak rut, gotta love it.

#16 ·
Muzzle loader during the rut sounds like a winner!!
Carrying the flintlock for deer is definitely one of the hunting types I miss, only slightly surpassed by missing out on arhcery these past six years. I had plans to convince the Germans that bowhunting should be allowed...then I got to know Germans

Grouse, woodcock, and ducks are way up on my priority list for hunting this fall as well!!

RoosterBooster said:
don't let a few hours in a car disconnect you now from your PA hunting heritage when an ocean couldn't,
John, one thing that has been cemented in my brain on this trip is that I am, and always will be, a Pennsylvania hunter, and a Pennsylvanian!

This past Friday I was recognized for 25 years of Federal Service. Naturally, this type milestone caused me to look back on my career, and more specifically all the places I've been. From the brutally hot Middle East desert in the summer months, to the Arctic cold of Thule Greenland in the winter (I need a better travel planner), and just about all points in between. Been to and through so many countries, I've honestly stopped counting. Got all but three of our 50, (or is it 57 now?)
states covered. But I've only "lived" in two other states, and now one other country. Since birth, 44+ years ago, I have been a resident of PA. Since 1977 I have had a PA hunting license, every year. Even these past six years where I spent a total of ONE day out with the muzzy while we were home for Christmas. It's not easy thinking about changning that residency status.
I will though, and I'm looking forward to hunting in the great state of Virginia

From what I can tell so far, there are only some minor differences between the outdoor world of these two states. Heck, I found so much common ground with the Germans, I'm sure it'll be ok there, where we speak the same language

Actually, from all the hunters I've met from various countries of Europe, we already do speak the same language. A language only a hunter understands

#24 ·
Pictures are posted in a different thread. I hope you enjoy them.

What aspect of the regs are you interested in? There are many things different, but some not so much. Germans follow may traditions very closely. Most are part of the regulations, while some are part of the unwritten regs. Not following the traditions here will quickly get one uninvited from a hunt.
I can see where many of our traditions are rooted in them, as well.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.