The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fella gave me a fan from his grandson's first bird, but unfortunately it's been folded up in a cooler since the youth hunt. I told him I'd see what I could do, but no promises. Do any of you have any old Indian tricks for loosening that up so I can fan it out proper, or am I out of luck? Any other good ideas for a display if the fan doesn't pan out?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I'd soak it in water until I could pull out the tail feathers. Line them up on a small piece of cardboard and use a hot glue gun to connect them again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As stated you could try soaking them and see if they loosen up. If you go this route throw some liquid dawn in the water and put it in the sun to warm the water up, this will help get rid of some of the grease. Your still going to have to clean them up anyway so another suggestion would be to number them in order on the back side of the quill and take a scalpel to it. Cut out each feather at the quill. Get a piece of wood 1/4 or 1/2" thick and cut a circle out then cut it in half. Get a drill bit the same diameter as the quills and drill holes on the rounded side of the wood for the quills to slide into. (It's easier to start with the center feather and work your way out.) Once you get the tail feathers where you want them, pull them out and throw a little hot glue on the tip of the quill and slide them back into place. Good thing about doing it this way is you don't have to worry about cleaning off all that fat or wait for any grease to dry out. Good luck!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Use a needle and syringe and inject luke warm water and a couple drops of dish soap in it, once it is rehydrated, clean all the meat and fat off, use borax while doing this as it helps soak up the grease. Then soak the feather quills in a glass jar of acetone enough to immerse up to the skin, can do this a couple times to degrease. Then bath the entire tail in warm soapy water, remove from water and wrap in a towel to get most of the water off, then blow dry with a hair drier until completely dry, this will take a while but they will get real fluffy when done. Then lay tail out on a table they way you want it to look and mix up a little body bondo and put it on the feather quills, let it set up and trim excess. Then flip the tail over carefully and bondo the back side of quills, trim and let it harden. Rub some borax into the skin to preserve and let it dry. Most important is to get it clean and degreased to make it look good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts