The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into either a canoe or kayak for the upcoming season. What is the easiset way to get it registered so that I dont have to jump throw all the state hoops with permits that may or may not apply to it. Also, how much does it all cost? Any help would be greatly appreciated being that I will be brand new to the "boat owning community."

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The "launch permit" is your cheap option and is good at all state parks and PFBC lakes, but is only good if you paddle. If you go with a canoe and put an electric trolling motor on it you then need to register it through the PFBC, which is also good on all state parks and PFBC lakes. There may be lakes that will require an additional permit(county parks for example).

Go to the PFBC website an snoop around under the boating sections.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Generally the PFBC is pretty easy to deal with. I've never had a problem registering a boat with the state for powered use.

Coworker of mine bought a scanoe and went through the process to get it registered for a motor. It would have been easier and faster if he filled the paper work out completely but once he did it only took a little under two weeks. The paper work isn't difficult he just missed a question.

Give them a call. They are usually pleasant on the phone and willing to help out with any questions.

·
Registered
74 Posts
icemole said:
The "launch permit" is your cheap option and is good at all state parks and PFBC lakes, but is only good if you paddle. If you go with a canoe and put an electric trolling motor on it you then need to register it through the PFBC, which is also good on all state parks and PFBC lakes. There may be lakes that will require an additional permit(county parks for example).

Go to the PFBC website an snoop around under the boating sections.
+1 he's on the mark

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
When I bought my yak the dealer took care of everything. Gave me a temporary unpowered reg. Awhile later my stickers came in the mail. 18 bucks every two years. Launch permits are the same price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts