The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to upgrade my out of date late 70's Bounty Hunter.
What would you upgrade too?
I like the write ups on the Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett GTI 2500, and the White Spectra V3i ,or what would you like to buy?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
My uncle has and does well with his SE pro.
A friend has and does well with his V3i.
Can't help on the gti2500.

I use a minelab e trac and would never look back.....only forward to the newer ctx. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have toyed with the idea of detecting for years and have never jumped in, with retirement in the near future I am thinking now may be the time. I found this add in my local CL, I would welcome your thoughts.

"I have a "Like New" Minelab xterra 705 just purchase within the last 2 months. Excellent Shape, no scratches, no damaged areas. Used it several times this year works good. Just decided that it isn''t the one for me. I looking to TRADE for a Fisher f70/75 or Garrett AT Pro or 2500 series.
I would sell it but rather trade. Maybe you don't like yours and want to try something different, here is your opportunity. If I sell it, I not going to give it away. I will ask $700.00"

·
Registered
263 Posts
Flintlock said:
I have toyed with the idea of detecting for years and have never jumped in, with retirement in the near future I am thinking now may be the time. I found this add in my local CL, I would welcome your thoughts.

"I have a "Like New" Minelab xterra 705 just purchase within the last 2 months. Excellent Shape, no scratches, no damaged areas. Used it several times this year works good. Just decided that it isn''t the one for me. I looking to TRADE for a Fisher f70/75 or Garrett AT Pro or 2500 series.
I would sell it but rather trade. Maybe you don't like yours and want to try something different, here is your opportunity. If I sell it, I not going to give it away. I will ask $700.00"

I’m taking a short break from packing……….

Just a quick search shows 705’s selling new for $729.00. So, $700 used (even just a few times) seems a bit high.

Calling some on-line dealers will usually result in a better deal than the prices they list on their sites.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Someone else (or perhaps the same person) had an xterra 705 posted a while back for a similar price stating that they were a newbie and the 705 was too advanced. Any comments on a good "starter unit" that I won't tire of in six months. I won't say that money is no object but I am willing to invest in a quality detector.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently did the same. I have an old Whites 6DB that still works great. I purchased some battery packs for it and got the itch again. I just purchased another Whites MXT PRO which I bought used from craigslist w/accessories for $550. Good luck and don't count out a nice used machine.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I started with the xterra 705 and have not looked back. The secret is read read read. Lots of good 705 info on settings and such. First time out I was finding coins and such. Rings and silver followed. It is a very versatile unit that will work just fine as a starter unit. It will also teach you a lot and serve well past the starting stage.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I started out with a Whites Spectrum XLT in 96 . I still have yet to experiment with all of it's features . My neighbour purcheced the V3i last summer . That machines is unreal with all of the information it provides on objects in the ground . While I have to input my programs manualy , he can download his with a USB cable straight from the internet . Very pricey machine , but it will last a lifetime of exploring it's possibilities .

Good Luck & happy hunting .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts