The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am interested in doing more exotic hunting and fishing trips. I have never hunted outside of the northeast. My hunting buddies aren't very adventurous so I am looking for other guys who would be interested in something like this. I am no loaded so I can't afford anything too exotic but maybe an elk or caribou drop camp or some remote fishing. Anyone planning something that needs another guy, let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don't know about you but something ive always wanted to do since I was kid growing up watching fishing shows sun afternoon on ESPN was to go to south america and catch peacock bass! that's something that was imprinted on me early and ive never forgotten about that! that would be a blast!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be pretty cool. I'm thinking of an Alaskan caribou hunt in September 2015. I can't go that far this year but would like to do some cheaper trips this year. Maybe something cheap like a fly fishing camping trip.

Anyone else interested?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
A trip to Alaska is worth every penny you spend on it. Heck the float plane or super cub flight into your hunting area is worth the price of admission in itself!

(Our hunting area in the Alaskan Arctic)

Can be done very reasonably too. Hunted above Kotzebue in 2008 with two of my brothers. Even though we didn't punch any caribou, bear, wolf, or wolverine tags we had a great trip. Passed on a few small bulls waiting for the big boys but the weather shut the migration down. Highlight of the trip was being charged by a sow grizzly with cubs. Thank GOD we did the right thing by getting down wind of her and letting her smell us. 10 more yards and bullets would have been flying! I'd certainly go back in a heartbeat! Hunting DIY can be very rewarding though and you cut the costs substantially.

(Here's a auodad ram and javelina my brother Dave and I took in South Texas along the border of Mexico.)

These hunts fully guided start around $4500.00 and go up from there. We paid a trespass fee of $850.00 and had the entire ranch to ourselves. I'm headed up to Prince of Wales Island, Alaska on the 13th of September for bear and sitka blacktail. If you want to tag along to fish, crab, and hunt blacktails we can fit you in. Bear tags are by draw only. Next year I have to do a smaller scale hunt so I don't think a caribou hunt will fit into my budget but I do plan on hunting columbia blacktail in Oregon to complete my NA Deer Slam. If I'm unable to sneak up there this year. I'd certainly help you out anyway I can if you get a group to go. My past experience has been tough though when it comes to getting guys to money up when deposits and flights are do. Best of luck on whatever adventure you choose. Good huntin'

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the invite. Those pics are awesome. I've had the same problem with guys talking but not willing to part with their money. I'll have to see what funds I can muster. I just spent a week at Disney World with ,y wife and kids so funds are kinda low right now. I'll see where I stand after income taxes are paid. Thanks again.

Also, what part of PA are you in?

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Springer, the week at Disney hits home. I usually do a outta state hunt every 2 years, and when I get home, I usually walk into "I just booked Disney." She would rather do Disney then a Caribbean trip.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife is the same way. She loves Disney. I find it exhausting but my kids are young and it was their first trip. They had a great time.

·
Registered
13,131 Posts
mebey not everyones idea of exotic, but i love fishing remote lakes up in canada. you can get away from everyone, not see a plane all week, and catch fish like you simply can't imagine here. catching fish as long as my leg, thats exotic to me.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yellodog: That's exactly what I am talking about. Exotic to me is Canada, Alaska, the Rocky Mountains, etc.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Springer Rage, I'm up for hunting anywhere also but my family is all talk. I have 4 weeks vacation per year, save 1 for the wife and the others are mine. Yes I have a great wife. I normally do a bow hunt in Ohio have year, but always looking to go somewhere new.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Springer Rage said:
Thanks for the invite. Those pics are awesome. I've had the same problem with guys talking but not willing to part with their money. I'll have to see what funds I can muster. I just spent a week at Disney World with ,y wife and kids so funds are kinda low right now. I'll see where I stand after income taxes are paid. Thanks again.

Also, what part of PA are you in?
Your welcome and thanks! Schuylkill county. You? Not to get off the subject but Disney is very expensive but it's been my three girls and my get away for many years. Raised them myself and we started going when they were 1, 3, and 5. Their now 24, 22, and 20. We did a Disney Cruise last year which was our first cruise. Well not mine exactly as I spent 2 years on the USS America as a security Plt. Sgt. in the Marines. We absolutely loved it and after returning I booked another for this year in December. Let me know if you want to go. Love to have you along. If not I'm sure we could share another adventure in the future. Good huntin'

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's great. My kids loved it. They're young 6 and 2 but even the 2 year old had a great time. I'm 40 but got married late.

I am in Delaware County but our family has a cabin in Berks right near the Schulykill County line.

7mm, I might be interested in bear but can't imagine doing it in the spring.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I know what you are saying, I never wanted to hunt bear in the spring or over bait but do it one time and you are hooked!! You can't beat hunting in the warm weather when everything is turning green and the woods are coming alive! As far as hunting over bait, it's in the wilderness and unless you are lucky enough to win the lottery it's the only way. I compare it to fishing, you know there are fish in the water, you don't use an empty hook and you don't know if you're going to catch a big one or a small one or any at all!! I did it the first time 8 yrs. ago and can't wait to do it this spring! Probably wouldn't do it again without a thermacell, they actually work! Try it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
IMO their needs to be a an adventure sections or a DIY Hunt section. I would be up for the Canada Trip, I could honestly care less about killing anything I'm after the adventure. I did a few DIY hunts in WV and did not kill anything (I let a few go) the idea of just doing it myself is exciting. I was going to plan a hunting trip with a price tag of $5k (my budget) finally said this is goofy and went to Italy for 10 days and that trip was well under $5k.

Anyway I'm up for a new Section to help others locate people to do trips. I am part of these things called meetups. Basically a people that like to backpack get together.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let's start a group. I have some ideas for trips even some that aren't particularly exotic. I have land in Vermont that could be a base camp for a more local trip or 2.

Some of the things I would like to try:

A drop camp in Alaska for caribou or pretty much anything;
A remote fishing trip in Canada (preferably with walleye);
A winter trapping trip camping out like the old-timers like Stanley Hawbaker;
A pheasant trip to the mid-west like Iowa.
A deer/bear hunt in the Adirondacks while camping in the backcountry.

I am open to a lot of things. Once I figure out a trip and get some money together I will post an open invite.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
7mm STW said:
6 weeks from today I will be in Canada for bear, can't wait
If I could only hunt one animal it would be bear. To me there's just something magical about them. Everytime I see one I'm in awe. Best of luck to you on your hunt. I'll be waiting till September to hunt them on POW Island Alaska. Good huntin' and keep us posted!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts