The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get into recurve hunting but didnt know what bow would be good for a beginner. I hunt with a compound now for about 15 years and want a change. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
First - get a copy of Byron Fergusons "Become the Arrow" and read it, every page. Then get your hands on as many recurves as you can and shoot them. Ask the owners questions about hand shock and other conns and pros about the bow. Learn about AMO, Brace height and what they mean relative to power and accuracy - and what they mean to your shooting style and skill. Visit an archery shop or two and talk to the folks on the other side of the counter. Tell them what you are looing for and that you need some suggestions and guidance. lastly, Please consider a longbow as an aternative to a recurve. I never touch my compound since I stated longbow shooting.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I have an old long bow that was my grandfathers dont know what kind it is there is no name on it or string. thanks again.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
first you have to know what your weight limit is and draw length,and remember there is no let off with recurve's,longbows,selfbows,flatbows or any trad . bow,so you will be drawing the specified weight on the bow at the specified draw length.once you get that figured out then start shopping around.i mentioned this in another post,if you get a takedown bow you can then get another set of heavier limbs for it when your ready.lancaster archery sells a samick red stag which is a very sweet shooting bow in a takedown model.take a look at it, check out other trad. sites such as stickbow,archerytalk and tradgang there's alot of good info. on them as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts