The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sportsmen's club I belong to is starting a .22 league this year. I only own a .22 WMR rifle and looking into getting a decent shooting .22 LR. I also would like it for hunting so the Ruger 10/22 is out. The Ruger 77/22 is real nice but a little more than I want to spend(Yes, that means the Anschutz is out also). I was looking into the Savage Mark 2. I saw a real nice one at Juniata Trade in Everett.

What would you guys suggest?

·
Registered
11,281 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I have seen used Ruger 77/22's going for $250-$300, I highly recommend one if you can pick one up. I have one and love it for target practice and squirrel hunting, plus I love the fact that it and my 10/22 use the same clips.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buckhunter said:
I have seen used Ruger 77/22's going for $250-$300, I highly recommend one if you can pick one up. I have one and love it for target practice and squirrel hunting, plus I love the fact that it and my 10/22 use the same clips.
I'd love to get a Ruger 77/22, especially fpr $250 to $300. So far, every one I ran into has been over $500.00 and I want to get a leupold scope which will end up at $800 to $1,000. I'd like to keep the total package around $600.00.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What about the ruger american in .22lr? I haven't shot one but seen some videos on it and it looks like a decent rifle.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
I just sold a cz American and bought a ss/synthetic 77/22.The cz was accurate but it had a crappy trigger,weak spring,the last shell in the clip would jam every time and the safety is actually backwards.I'd get a misfire every 20 shots or so,put the shell in another gun and it would fire.They sell stronger springs and trigger kits for them but I hated the safety.My daughter started to shoot and I didn't want her getting used to pulling back on the safety and then hunting with a rifle that worked exactly the opposite.It was very accurate though,considering the crappy trigger.

I bought the ruger because she can't bang it up and she'll be using a rifle with a 3 position safety.I put a nikon rimfire scope on it with a ballistic reticle and it's even more accurate than the cz,which surprised me.The trigger is a little on the heavy side but there's not much creep to it.It's a relatively easy fix for $20.

I'm not a big fan of the cheaper rimfires because they're usually light and flimsy.I shoot a pile of rimfire year round because it's good practice.I want a .22 that weighs close to my centerfires and balances halfway decent.

I've heard romors that the 77/22's don't shoot well but I have a 77/22 mag,77/17 hornet and this .22lr.They all shoot very well.The only downfall is the trigger but again,that's an easy cheap fix.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have several of the Savage Mark II. All shoot very well with quality ammunition. For price and accuracy they are hard to beat. Make sure to get one with the Accu-trigger.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I wouldn't spend a nickel on a savage. They have extractor issues. Hard to beat one of these...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=386049753

Notice the filler where a rear site would be? Thats because the first yr they were made the barrels from the marlin olympics rifle was used. Those have a match chamber. I have the later version with a semi match chamber and it shoots lights out too. You can find them used for $180.00 to $250.00.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a Savage MK2 bv WHICH IS A HEAVY BARREL and it shoots lights out also have the Marlin xt22 Heavy barrel and it shoots even better can put 10 shots in a nickel at 50 yds with either but my 4 daughters and I prefer the Marlin. If and I repeat if you can find an 880sq as grovey said jump on it. I also would look into a Mueller scope for what you are using it for the Mueller will work. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trout 48 said:
I have a Savage MK2 bv WHICH IS A HEAVY BARREL and it shoots lights out also have the Marlin xt22 Heavy barrel and it shoots even better can put 10 shots in a nickel at 50 yds with either but my 4 daughters and I prefer the Marlin. If and I repeat if you can find an 880sq as grovey said jump on it. I also would look into a Mueller scope for what you are using it for the Mueller will work. Just my 2 cents
Thanks Trout and everybody else! I was looking at a few Marlin XT-22's also and a guy came up to me and said, for the money those are very accurate guns. I'm working in State College on Monday so on the way home I might make a detour through Clearfield and check out Grice to see what they have.

I'm not familiar with a the Mueller scopes. I thought if I didn't get the Leupold I might think about a Redfield. My son's 243 has a Redfield and it's a very nice scope. But, the overwhelming majority says the Leupold is the way to go. An yes, I know it will cost more than the gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CZ452 , CZ455 I prefer the 452. I have 8 different brands of 22s and the CZ is the best in value and accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
4,623 Posts
I think before you buy a 22lr to compete with you need to find practice/match ammo.You won't compete very well with an empty chamber.Perhaps you already have it I don't know.Finding it can be spotty at best and most stores have purchase limits.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Buy a Savage MKI from the CMP, if you are on a budget.......the Cz's are also good guns in that price range, guys shoot both of them in our plinker league....

If you have a little higher budget look at some of the Anschutz 64 action rifles

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Buckshot1822 said:
Buy a Savage MKI from the CMP, if you are on a budget.......the Cz's are also good guns in that price range, guys shoot both of them in our plinker league....

If you have a little higher budget look at some of the Anschutz 64 action rifles
Our sportsmen's club belongs to CMP and I did check out the .22 sales page. I see the Mark 1 is actually the same price as the Mark 2's I was checking out. They have some nice looking firearms on their website!

·
Registered
25,549 Posts
Have a CZ 455 sporter. Beautiful rifle, pretty accurate with ammo it likes and a joy to shoot. And yes, it sometimes has the same "last round" problem another posted commented on.

Also have a Ruger American (long bbl version) and it is also very accurate, but not as pretty as the CZ.

Cost less than $300, better trigger (adjustable), takes most 1022 mags (I have lots of them) and is drilled/tapped for Weaver #12 bases, so scopes can be mounted more securely than just using the usual 3/8" dovetail mount that is also comes with.

It is now one of my favorite 22 rimfire rifles. There is a SS verion that should be on the market soon, if it isn't already available?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts