The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Ford f150 that I am not happy with and the boss (wife) said I can get rid of it and get a new truck. I am looking at Dodge and Toyota. Anyone have any good or bad thoughts on these?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Friend just took her Toyota back to dealer because frame was rusted in two, only to have dealer tell her it was not under any warranty or recall. Truck is junk....I do not know the year, but I believe less than 10 years old.
I am not a Toyota fan, but others on these boards love them.

Buddy has a 2010 Dodge 1/2 ton. Has been a great truck for him, but it now has 70,000 miles and he is starting to have issues with heat controls, actuators and misc items. He is looking to trade right now, and is looking at new Dodges, and since I ordered my Raptor, he is looking at them as well.

I would pick Dodge over Toyota, but that is just my .02......and I am sure some Toyota guy's will disagree......

Toyotas history of frame and body rust are a big turn off for me.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
I had a 2000 Tundra and Toyota replaced the frame on it in/about 2011 with 200K on it?? Somewhere around there. Truck ran fine.

I now have a 2012 Tundra. Nice truck with plenty of room and power for me. I have owned 4 Toyota vehicles now keeping all into high miles. They just keep running. No complaints here.

I would be checking more into the frame rust recall. They took care of a lot of trucks at no owner cost.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I think they are all good but every once in a while a lemon is inevitable. Figure out which truck suits your need and has the look you want.

I have had two Rams and currently have a Tundra. They were all good trucks but the 2008 Ram and my current 2012 Tundra seem to be my favorites at this point. Good luck!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a tacoma and love it. Ever since I bought my first toyota the family followed suit. Out of the 3 we currently own none of them have any problems. Toyota trucks are notorious for having frame rust but that is about the extent of th problems you will find. That in itself does not make them junk.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Tundra gets my vote for many reasons. Toyota builds very good vehicles and the Tundra is no exception. I was looking for a new truck. Was always a Ford guy. Took out the Ford, Chevy and Tundra.....would not even consider a Dodge....I own a '12 Tundra as a result of my research and test drives.

As for the OLD issue of frame/body rusting.....that has been resolved years ago. Do some research then go drive the Tundra......you too may come to the conclusion that it is a quality truck. All the best and happy hunting.

·
Registered
20,410 Posts
The only Dodge truck I had brand new, I had to have the transmission rebuilt at 72,000 miles. That is unacceptable to me. Plus, after about 7 years, it was nickel and diming me. If I'd bought a Toyota at the time, I probably would have gotten five years more out of it.

Actually, now I'm a Nissan guy. You'll get more truck for the money than you will from Toyota, similar quality, and less rust issues from the past. Dodge can't even compare in reliability.

Dodge does make a good looking truck, and probably the best diesel motor out there. Dodge reminds me of having a smoking hot girlfriend. Everybody turns their heads when she goes by, but she's real high maintenance and takes a lot of work to keep going good.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Does quality matter? If it does go with the Toy. Maintained properly they last forever. My first Toy was a Celica with the 20R motor, the body fell apart around the motor. Sold it to a guy who put that motor in an older one he was restoring and that motor is still running strong today at 35 years old with over 600k on it.
I've owned several Toys and have never gotten rid of one until it hit at least 200k. My wife drives a Celica getting ready to hit 200, and my T100 is at 250. Never had a minutes trouble with either, no one I know with any Chrysler product can say the same... and that was before Fiat bought them out.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys. I had a 1994 Toyota T100 that I loved. It had 200K miles on when I traded it in on the ford I have now. I also have a 1994 Toyota camry that I drive back and forth from work, this car will not stop running.

The issue I have with the ford I have now is rust. If you open my hood my engine is covered with rust and the wheelwells are starting to bubble and rust. Like I said earlier this is a 2008 with less than 60000 miles. I figured to trade it in before the major problems start.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Buy a Toyota and don't look back. I've owned Ford, Chevy, Dodge. All were junk. Since then its been Toyota, Nissan, Honda and one Subaru. The Tundra is a nice truck. I have a 2006 that just turned 100K miles. My last Toyota was a '94 Tacoma that I sold with 151K miles on it. I also had a 2002 Nissan Frontier that I sold with 163K miles on it. I like my Tundra best so far. I'm thinking about trading, on another Tundra or a Tacoma. I'll probably look at the Nissan Frontier too, but they've not offered much new in the past decade. I'd stay away from the Nissan Titan, I hear the gas mileage is horrible. That's my only beef with Nissan's truck lines, they're a bit behind the curve in fuel economy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
For me between the two it would be the Dodge, I just don't like the looks of the Toyota and I think their sheet metal is thinner than the rest, they dimple real easy. They also seem to be lacking in fuel economy area. Don't know if they fixed the rusting frames or not, but why gamble.

But given a choice it would be a Ford or Chevy/GMC,then a Dodge, Toyota would be last!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Danesdad said:
The only Dodge truck I had brand new, I had to have the transmission rebuilt at 72,000 miles. That is unacceptable to me. Plus, after about 7 years, it was nickel and diming me. If I'd bought a Toyota at the time, I probably would have gotten five years more out of it.

Actually, now I'm a Nissan guy. You'll get more truck for the money than you will from Toyota, similar quality, and less rust issues from the past. Dodge can't even compare in reliability.

Dodge does make a good looking truck, and probably the best diesel motor out there. Dodge reminds me of having a smoking hot girlfriend. Everybody turns their heads when she goes by, but she's real high maintenance and takes a lot of work to keep going good.
When I lived in WY I wanted my first diesel. Bought the Dodge('06) to get the Cummins 5.9...........great motor...........truck itself.......hurt me bad! It ATE ball joints, would not/ could not track a straight line.....even with an aftermarket steering stabilizer.......interior cheap......seats brutal....the list goes on.....last but not least......very thin sheet metal. As we know....Dodge & reliability do not go together. I would like to see the Cummins(bullet proof 5.9) in a Ford body.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Swift said:
bigbear said:
The F150 has been the best selling truck forever for a reason.
Blind allegiance.
Not really. Chevy, Nissan and Dodges in the past. What I am is, someone who doesn't beleive our government should be picking winners and losers in any industry.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
bigbear said:
The F150 has been the best selling truck forever for a reason.
If you combine the Chevy and GMC models( they are the same truck) they outsell the Fords.

There is not a lot of differences between the top 4.
I would lean towards the brand who did the latest refresh of their model to get the latest upgrades/enhancements

1 - 20 of 76 Posts