The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't afford a Smith, but have looked at both Ruger and Taurus.

Looking for opinions on the Ruger and Taurus, both seem like nice guns and feel good in the hand.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have three Taurus revolvers. Two 44 mags and a 38 Special. I no complaints about any of them. I see no reason why you would not like the Taurus in 357 mag.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
If you want a smith, look for a used one........they can be had in the same price range as the lcr.......

Although, I would take the LCR over any of the S&W snubbies I have shot any day of the week......

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. The one I am considering is a Taurus with a 6" barrel and it's an 8 shot. Nice gun, just a little fat in the middle.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
bushmaster said:
Thanks for the info. The one I am considering is a Taurus with a 6" barrel and it's an 8 shot. Nice gun, just a little fat in the middle.
You could try and find an old Ruger Security Six, or get the new GP100

As far as Taurus I have a Raging Bull, and it is built like a tank, it is every bit as good of quality as my Super Redhawks.........I know they did have some problems at a time with their Tracker models though, which I am guessing is what you are looking at........

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I've owned the S/W 686 for more than 40 years, it's the six inch stainless and it has never let me down. Accurate, always ready to use and reliable, what else could you want!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i highly recommend the s&w L frames (586 686). they can be had for only slightly more than a used ruger. i saw one at gander a few months ago for $399. no dash and very nice. even though i have its twin in my safe, i had the gun sweats and had to talk myself out of it. still kind of regret it. an L frame is one of, if not the best, 357 ever made for target and hunting.

·
Registered
638 Posts
my favorite 357 is a ruger 101.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I own a S&W 686 6" and she is sweet! I had my local gunsmith work some of his majic and this gun is money! I take it huntig and I have taken game at 50 yards off and clean! I shoot remmy green box 158 JHP ammo and if I do my part she will lay the rounds in the X!

I have owned Ruger Sp 101 good solid gun, but my Smiith "feels" better, I also had a Dan Wesson .357 and that was nice. I never owned a Taurus so can't say good or bad.

Look for used S&W or Ruger. Those are guns my $$ would go to buy!

Koz

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I bought a Taurus 357 this weekend. Sweet gun for sure. 6" ported barrel, stainless steel, 8 round revolver. Paid $550.00

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is your intended purpose for the 357. Hunting, protection? Rugers and Smiths are both good. I have had both. If you want it for protection a double action would probably be better suited than a single action (mostly depends on you though).

If you want to hunt a Contender is a fine item. A 10 incher packs pretty nice and is much more accurate than a off the shelf revolver. Since it has no cylinder gap it will also shoot faster than a revolver.

HH

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you can find a S&W 686 buy it, I carried on daily for a lot of years and it is still my favorite of all my handguns. Tarus may be made on a S&W machine but it is a poor imitation from what I saw as 25 years as a firearms instructor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts