The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a flintlock. The three options i have it narrowed down to are the Lyman deerstalker, RMC accusporter, and a pa mountain rifle from cabin creek muzzleloading. I know all three come at a different price point. I plan to start hunting in the flintlock season more often and saving at least one antlerless tag for the season. Does anyone have experience with any of the three?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Of the 3, the Cabin Creek would be the best choice. They are pricey, but head and shoulders above the others. I you are inclined to put one together yourself, you should check out Jim Kiblers kits. They are pretty near finished with a little hand work on the parts and finishing of the stock and browning the barrel. If you want to get into it to try it, the lyman would be a good choice.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I owned a Lyman GPR 54 cal, an RMC Accusporter 50 cal and currently own a Brad Emig(Cabin Creek) PA Mountain Rifle 54 cal. Of the 3 based upon owning... IMO the PA Mountain Rifle is far superior of course is the most expensive. The PA Mountain rifle has the fastest lock and most accurate...of course Brad's personal tuning helps a lot. It has a quality PA made 38" Colerain 1-56 twist swamped barrel cut rifled with 6 groove, Radius bottom rifling (round bottom) with groove depth of .016” grove depth. If you can afford any one of the 3.....I'd definitely go with the PA Mountain Rifle.

Pic of Brad W/My Completed PA Mountain Rifle

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had a Cabin Creek Mt. rifle, great rifle, about as good as it gets for barrel, lock and the rest of the parts.

The rifle is very balanced and "hangs" on target and carries nice.

mine had a Colrain barrel, very accurate and shot some of my best groups with it.

Personally out of the three choices I would pay the extra money for the Mt. rifle.
If for whatever reason flintlock turns out not to be for you, the Mt. rifle would hold it's value and be an easy resale.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a RMC with a green mt. 1 : 28 twist barrel , it shoots 250 grain Hornady xpts on top of real blk power into nice little groups @ 100 yards. But that pa mt. Rifle is very sweet looking.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I would not even buy a Lyman Deerstalker because there quality has gone down hill,I have seen to many people getting poor fitted parts, beside that they do not make a walnut stock anymore, its a hardwood (beechwood) stained walnut. Here is some photo of there poor quality, and the company will not make it right.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
The 38" swamped barrel on the Emig Mt. rifle is long enough to have the feel of a long rifle and still a handy length for woods hunting.

Another plus for this rifle is it's authentic design, it could of been used for hunting over 200 years ago just as easy as it is now.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
The only negative to me on that rifle Gus is that I,m a carbine guy.I don,t care for super long barrels with full length wood stocks.But that,s just me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If price isn't a concern, go with a custom build from a builder or a kibler kit if you want DIY. There is a world of difference in the reliability and shoot ability and you get it made how you will be shooting it i.e. slow twist round ball or fast twist conical barrel. I built 2 and I purchased 3 customs builds and they have never failed me. the 3 commercially produced flintlocks I have have cost me a few deer click, click, click fizz. I on't get me wrong, a lot of hunters have killed deer with them but man what a difference. Check out the classifieds on muzzleloadingforum.com, Track of the wolf, Dixons in kempton there are a lot of traditional muzzeloader websites that sell quality flintlocks and kits. from what I hear, Kibler kits are the very good to DIY, they will also put it together for you in the white for a fee. The only thing left for you to do is polish brass and barrel and wood finish. Good luck on your search

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Out of the three go with Cabincreek. I been shooting my “colonial Virginia” for about ten years. I have easy a thousand rounds through her and she’s a shooter. I started with a deer stalker. It is a spare now for any friend that wants to hunt with me

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I will add that for the few years I had my RMC AccuSporter...I did like it but with it's 1-28 bbl... it wasn't a round ball gun but more suited for conicals. I started flintlock hunting with a TC PA Hunter slow twist and had the yearning to go back to the ole round ball. The RMC had a removable breech plug which was a nice feature. If I remember it had a L&R Lock which was no Silar but was a step-up from the TC offerings at that time. If cost is a factor....I would certainly take a look at one.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Those are very different rifles. Maybe if you haven't had a flintlock before, you should buy a used gun with the features you think you want, like round ball barrel vs 1:48, set triggers vs single, adjustable sights, 50 vs 54, lock quality, etc. My personal experience is if you want to shoot patched round ball, you need a barrel designed for that. But if you wanted to go that route, a used TC PA Hunter can be purchased for <$400 and serve you quite well. Then you can move into a custom gun once you settle in on what you want. If you want to just go kill deer with sabots, the RMC is probably your best choice.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I got my first and last Lyman last year. The quality was not very respectable, but an L&R lock helped, and once about 150 rounds was through it , the gun was accurate enough to hunt with.

Then I discovered about the recall for barrels separating at the hook breech, Lyman replaced the barrel, and I've had problems ever since. Lyman is not willing to answer my emails, and at nearly 250 rounds it is still not consistantly keeping zero. (My Pa Pellet is accurate, dependable, and a far better flinter)

Lyman had an outstanding reputation, but not in my experience.

·
Registered
698 Posts
the only difference is the twist in the RMC, they both load by pushing a ball-slug down the bore, use loose black powder for the pan-bore and use flint for ignition. and I still limit my shots to 75 yards or closer and I am no less a hunter or no more a killer with either. I have hunter with both and killed deer with both, and all the kills could have been done with either.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
the only difference is the twist in the RMC, they both load by pushing a ball-slug down the bore, use loose black powder for the pan-bore and use flint for ignition. and I still limit my shots to 75 yards or closer and I am no less a hunter or no more a killer with either. I have hunter with both and killed deer with both, and all the kills could have been done with either.
Didn't see anyone inferring using one vs another making one more of a hunter?? It's merely a matter of some preferring a custom traditional gun vs non-traditional(or variation). I have hunted with traditional flinters, non-trad flinters, smoking inlines, smokeless inlines....killed deer with ALL. All deer likely coulda been killed with anyone of them. It's all a matter of preference...nothing else.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The only negative to me on that rifle Gus is that I,m a carbine guy.I don,t care for super long barrels with full length wood stocks.But that,s just me.
I hear you on the carbine, but after years of 44" and 45 inches, the 38" rifle does feel like a carbine.

Had to hold on a deer last week that stopped behind a tree (for awhile), the 38" was nicer for that than the longer barrel.

As I get even more decrepit and older I'll probably end up with Cabin creek's "little rifle" he has for Ladies and kids.

I've had half stock Mt. type rifles and a nice Yeager, but for me for offhand shooting and hunting, the longer barrel rifles just lock in (hang) on target a lot steadier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts