The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the virus my grandson and son from Massachusetts wouldn't be flying into W. Pa. to deer hunt with me this season. But we are going to try to drive and meet half way on the second weekend of the season.

We are looking at getting a place for a few days in WMU 3D.
We know zero about hunting in this area.
We will not have the time to do our homework or scout on the ground. We are planning on going to public land cold and set up ,maybe with a day of pre scouting. Might be willing to pay a fee to gain access to some private land.

My goal is to get my grandson hopefully some opportunities at least on anterlesss deer. I know it isn’t the ideal way of going about planning and having a successful hunt ,but we are playing the cards dealt to us and are happy we are at least being together and giving it a try . My grandson (as am I) is thrilled that we aren’t cancelling this year.

Right now we are looking at the area around Gouldsboro and Tobyhanna State Parks . Also around SGL’s 127 ,135 & 312. I have only choose these areas because of favorable lodging opportunities. But I am open to other suggestion in WMU 3D. Also if anyone has any lodging suggestions I would be grateful for them as well.

I would appreciate any tips or advice of where might focus our efforts on In this area.
We would be thankful for any advice offered.

In advance thank you for your help.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Also check out the State Forest around Promised land and down Rt 402; look at the 'Thunder Swamp' Trail system.

Lot's of access points, lots of State Forest and much of it is empty after the first few days and the first Saturday.

I'm much closer to Marshalls Creek and we have found that we see more deer staying close to the developments but this may not hold true everywhere in 3D.

There are rental cabins at Promised land but I'd bet they are reserved by now.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Well, I typed something up for you and this silly new platform won’t allow PMs. Try to pm me or give an email address.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Game lands 310, my son and I hunted this several years, if you go back by Hansons Arregates there is a parking area there you can walk back on the game lands on an old R.R. bed follow that back until you see beechnut trees on your right and go up the hill about 100 yards you'll see buck rubs and scrapes. If you don't want to go that far back look on Google Maps there's Klims apple orchard on the right, find ya a good spot around there, we got a few deer out of there. Ther are some other good spots around Lake Henry too, take your time and do some scouting. Good Luck. You're not that far from Scranton PA. so you should be able to find some place to stay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts