The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hunting solo this bear season here in Perry Co. My plan is to sneak up hill from where I park the truck, maybe 300 yds from it. Try for a bear that will not be over 297 pounds and will fit on the "hitch n haul". So it can't be too long. After field dress that would reduce the weight to about 238 pounds. Good for sliding down hill on a heavy tarp and I can lift that much weight to load it alone. The other thing is my wife said the freezer is getting full, so space is limited. There is a plan! What do you think?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'll fine tune your plan.

Park your car with the hitch to a hillside, walk 59 yards off the road, wait to day break, shoot the bear more back in the lungs bear drops by hitch, field dress bear, half roll on to carrier, strap down, take the long way to the check station, stopping at every gas station, store, you get the the plan.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I was always told the proper way to take a bear is you wait for the lake to freeze over, drill a hole in the ice, and set out 7 peas around the hole. When the bear comes to the hole to take a pea, you kick him in the ice hole!

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
I was always told the proper way to take a bear is you wait for the lake to freeze over, drill a hole in the ice, and set out 7 peas around the hole. When the bear comes to the hole to take a pea, you kick him in the ice hole!

:rotfl:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are funny!! You know I'm just having fun with this. I go bear hunting and see some big beautiful bucks, go back to that stand and see only bears. Then comes the combine season -- see nothing. gearhart15 -- good plan!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
You guys are funny!! You know I'm just having fun with this. I go bear hunting and see some big beautiful bucks, go back to that stand and see only bears. Then comes the combine season -- see nothing. gearhart15 -- good plan!
I know all about the first part you talking about! Back before the extended bear seasons i found a great spot loaded with bear sign on public ground in Dauphin County. First day of bear what do i see but 21 deer with a few being nice bucks. Second day of bear i see i think it was around 15 deer, one being a BIG buck in what would have been easy bow range. Ok im going to hunt here for deer opener! What do i see that morning but 2 bears!!. Fast forward till 3 years ago and Im hunting bear opener at a friends place in Tioga. No bear seen but mid afternoon a real nice 10 point comes in and even beds about 30 yards from me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts