The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, looking for some suggestions-inputs-experiences of what you have done for exterior siding on your camp. My camp currently has barn board siding that is about forty years old. Needless to say it needs an upgrade. The photo shows one side. I am almost convinced to replace it with a premium vinyl. I want to keep a rustic look. Being a camp, not every wall is perfectly straight, and not every corner is perfectly square. Anyone have issues with vinyl siding damage due to branches falling from near by trees? Anyone stay with wood siding, reason?
Are you willing to share some photos?

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
We have board and batton hemlock that is going on 20 years. We use a high quality oil stain and pesticide about every 5 years or so. The only trouble we had was several battons being torn off by bear. An electric fence fixed that problem. From a maintenance perspective its hard to go wrong with vinyl.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have vinyl siding on my property upstate and I would not recommend it. It has been put on 5 years ago and I had to have some areas replaced due to birds flying into it, rocks & sticks shooting out of lawnmowers and who knows how I have cracks In other spots.

·
Registered
25,473 Posts
Built a new 2,000 square foot Cape Cod in the mid 70s and sided it with redwood T-111. Recession at the time, got the siding for a tad more than half of it's former price from a supply house that had two boxcars filled with it for over a year.

I liked it, neighbors thought it was "too rustic" and ruined the look of the neighborhood. Sold that house after 25 years, a subsequent owner covered it with vinyl. One former neighbor told me they liked it better. Told him, yep, looks just like every other house on the road now.

:smile2:

Our camp has T-111 on it. The addition added in '84 has cedar T-111. that someone had ordered, then passed away, so the supply house wanted rid of it. Got a deal on that, too. About every five years it gets another coat of premium S-W latex solid color stain. Hit the jackpot last summer, when someone gave me five gallons of S-W solid color deck stain. That's a tad more weather resistant than siding stain. Since I still have an account at the local S-W store, she tinted it to match my original hue.

Might just be me, but a camp w/vinyl siding doesn't look quite right? Especially when it gets that grungy green hue to it and needs pressure washed?

:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts

I’m at camp now, sitting on the porch. I turned around and took this pic. When I had this place built 11 years ago, I had decisions to make. Vinyl siding was much cheaper, but I didn’t want it. I went with yellow pine, never regretted it. I reseal it with Flood polyurethane ever 3 years....$19 a gallon, use about 3.5 gallons. Yellow pine will hold up well, looks better now than the day it was built. White pine doesn’t have the resins yellow pine has, and doesn’t weather as well. No carpenter bee problems, ( yet).

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Mine is vinyl and after a couple years, a tree fell nearby and some of the branches did damage the siding. Plus, vinyl tends to turn green after a few years and needs to be washed off. On the upside, it was relatively cheap compared to other options.

·
Registered
233 Posts
my place has t1 11 on it it is 35yrs old and is showing it age with porkys chewing on it and yrs of weather it has been painted and it lasts for 10yrs or so i to have been thinking of new siding i was told to look at LP smartside has anyone ever used this product they said it is maintenance free and last for yrs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the inputs and suggestions! My wife likes the shake style vinyl siding. I'm reconsidering the wood board and batten. Next couple trips to camp we'll be spending some time driving around looking at other camps for ideas.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Thanks everyone for the inputs and suggestions! My wife likes the shake style vinyl siding. I'm reconsidering the wood board and batten. Next couple trips to camp we'll be spending some time driving around looking at other camps for ideas.
Just yesterday I was at a friends home and he had the Shake style vinyl siding. It looked really good. I was surprised at how realistic it looked even up close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts