The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Gentlemen- I am a pair of hunters' mom- and am looking for members of the club , that is located just south of the camp ground north of Kittaning. My grandfather was raised there- and my fifteen year old son (his great-grandson) is squirrel hunting with the .410 side by side that he used when he was fifteen. Is there anyone who knows who owns that land now? I would love for my sons to squirrel hunt there- just once- we live in Maryland- so it couldn't be a regular thing. Anyone out there who can help?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I don't know the area, but I wish you good luck.
I still make an annual pilgrimage to the place my father hunted in the 1930's and I took my son there for his first hunting experience.
There's something special about trekking the same land as our forebearers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the good luck wishes- My boys lost their Dad in January 2006- to leukemia- but he left them with a powerful love of the outdoors and a respect for hunting traditions. We were in PA two weekends ago for a family gathering- and I took my youngest to see the woods where his Great-Grandpa was raised- and he totally gets it- made me stop the car- so he could take pictures. He doesn't know that I'm trying to get him access- I'm just hoping that if I put this out there- if it is meant to be- the right person will read this. So thanks- and good hunting to you!

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
That's the kind of story that brings tear to this old fart's eyes. I'm near the border and although it isn't the sentimental place you're looking for, I'd feel proud to have them come here and hunt squirrles with me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a very kind offer Gentleben- and we're probably very close to where you live- we're in North Central MD- and I do appreciate it. The boys have a place in Clear Spring PA- near Flintstone MD to hunt- so they're covered for deer and squirrel (some of which they can also do in the back yard with their bows). I'm really looking to give them the opportunity to hunt where their Great Grandpa hunted. I can't tell them about your offer yet-they don't know I'm on this forum- I didn't want to tell them unless it works out they can hunt in Frogtown. But I will tell them of your offer once I see how this plays out. Thanks for your kindness-it is deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Great Story Indeed!!!

Come on guys let's make this happen, this is what this HPA community is all about. Kittaning area folks any help out there???? Make the effort it is worth it.

I'll put a post in the General and Archery Forums to get some attention....we got to have someone near there that can dig this up for you.

Good Luck, good deeds need to happen as much as possible nowadays in the hunting community!

·
Registered
9,696 Posts
Yeah, we are VERY close to each other. I'm about 20mi from Flinstone, actually closer to the famous Roadkill Cafe which I frequent

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roosterbooster and Great White Hunter- I was thrilled to find this forum- and every day when I check it- I see more hunters have read my story- if this is meant to happen- I think the right man will see it here. Once I let the kids in on the secret- I'm going to help them set up profiles here too-amid the community of hunters is where I want my boys hangin' out. They were once able to hunt near Cumberland- with a bow hunting club- but the same year they lost their Dad- the land was sold to a developer- so they lost the place they'd hunted first- and the club hasn't found a place to re-establish themselves. The boys are networking among friends and local farmers- and I'm sure they'll make their own ways-and find their own places- as all of you guys have had to do. Thanks for your support and good wishes-and my best hopes for a great Fall season comes to you with my thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gentleben: My folks have owned a little piece of land near Beans Cove since the 70's. My boys have been up there several times in the last year- and they never cook for themselves- so I'm sure you've seen them in the cafe(although they might be going to the one in Flintstone- and they regularly stop at the Alpine pantry for sticky buns) Look for a tall, thin, dark haired boy and a shorter blonde- also wiry- in a black Nissan truck- they'll be up there soon- just don't spill the beans and tell them you know of them yet!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Great too hear especially this....

I'm going to help them set up profiles here too-amid the community of hunters is where I want my boys hangin' out.
We all work hard to keep HPA as family oriented as possible and keep alot of what is wrong with the internet out, some guys think we are too "clean-cut" around here..but kids are on the net ALOT , and kids hunt, unfortunatley more do the former than the later, but we would like to see the scale balance a bit more.

ALot to learn here for anyone in the sport and definitely a great place to share one's love for the hunt, traditions, and lore that go along with it. if hunting was just about the act of shooting animals we would not need a message board.

Look forward to your family joining the HPA family...and let's see if we can get those boys looking up in the same mighty oaks for bushytails as their great grandad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
How far north of Kittaning?I'm in Clarion Co. and you mentioned Frogtown.Theres a Frogtown about two miles down the road from my house on Rt66.if it's the same area if I dont know who owns the property it wouldnt take me long to find out if its the same area.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure how many miles-but it is between the Sugar Creek Fire Dept (my grandma grew up in the gray house next to the fire house) and Kittaning. Land around the old campground is now posted by a hunt camp. Thanks to all of you for your kind words and help with this-it means an awful lot.

·
Registered
421 Posts
A hunting buddy of mine that I work with lives in a little town called Applewood. It's in Kittaning. Let me ask him if he knows where this is and if he can find out who owns the land. I'll get back to ya and let ya know what he finds out if anything

·
Registered
90 Posts
What a great Mom

I have forgotten most of my topography of the area
But I remember Frogtown not being too far from me.
Let me do a little research and see what I can find out.
Man it would be crazy if a newbie from Az could hook this up for you.
Talk about ment to be

Mike

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
jacquez,

Are you just wanting a contact for the hunt club?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Steelfish I don't think that is the right Frogtown, the frogtown they are talking about is on the otherside if the allegheny river south of East Brady near state gameland 105.

1 - 20 of 446 Posts