The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Some traditional style clothes are available from various mail order outfits. First what time era "traditional" are you looking for, from 1600 to 1800, clothes changed every 40 years or so, in the 1800's changes were far more rapid, about every 15 years. The French and Indian and Colonial eras largely overlapped in clothing styles. A few folks here have ordered Colonial Hunting Frocks and breeches from a lady up around Marysville Pa. I don't recall her name though. If you want more of a Brit or Patriot Uniform, that is a much harder item to find.

Dixie Gun Works
Gohn Brothers
Jason Townsend
Panther Primitives
get a copy of Muzzleloader Magazine and check the classifieds.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew that I could count on some real good suggestions from you guys!!! Thanks for a start in a direction.

I am new to the idea of dressing in traditional wear, but have wanted to do so. Last couple of nights I have been searching the web gathering ideas and look forward to starting a new phase of my hunting life... my wife thinks I am little nuts .....

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
James Townsend and Son Inc, sells a pull over wool shirt for $65 made from blanketing that is great..although not exactly PC. It's made in the same style as shirts from the colonial period. Terrific as a topper over a down vest or other layered clothing. Dosn't break the bank and gets the job done.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Incidentally, Gohn Bros is a Amish owned mail order outfit in middlebury Indiana. The sell several different styles and fabrics of broadfall trousers at a very reasonable price. There are also shirts. I don't know if they have a web site, i always called and ordered the four or five page catalogue.

Well they do indeed have some limited web presence. http://www.gohnbrothers.com/ It is worth getting the catalogue I have ordered from them numerous times over the years.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Navigator said:
I am looking where I can buy some traditional wear such as knit hats or coats??
When you discover your soul is in the blackpowder world..the real blackpowder world, you'll find that Cabelas and such have nothing you want. Diagon Alley is where you'll shop for supplies. Most muggels (non BP folk) won't understand. You'll need a breach cloth and leggings while you're there too!

If you know of someone who has a black walnut tree....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the wife of the late Bill Kennedy still makes these clothes. Last year at Fort Fredrick Market Square I was looking at some shirts and was introduced to the seamstress, and told it was Bill's wife. Anyone into Muzzleloaders back in the 90's should remember Bill. When he died, he was living near Muncy, PA. I have no contact info.

If you can wait until the first Saturday of Febuary, go to the Artisan show at the Country Cupboard in Lewisburg. All kinds of clothes. If they don't have your size, they measure you for size and mail the items to your house. One of the vendors at this show is Yesteryears, as mentioned in a previous post.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
tobyje said:
I think the wife of the late Bill Kennedy still makes these clothes. Last year at Fort Fredrick Market Square I was looking at some shirts and was introduced to the seamstress, and told it was Bill's wife. Anyone into Muzzleloaders back in the 90's should remember Bill. When he died, he was living near Muncy, PA. I have no contact info.

If you can wait until the first Saturday of Febuary, go to the Artisan show at the Country Cupboard in Lewisburg. All kinds of clothes. If they don't have your size, they measure you for size and mail the items to your house. One of the vendors at this show is Yesteryears, as mentioned in a previous post.
That artisan show is first rate. It's Diagon Alley!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts