The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to PA and a new member of butler county DU. I wasa member of the downriver chapter in Michigan. Recent transplant from southeast , mi. Looking for some local places to duck hunt. I have visited a few of the common ones, moraine, etc. I am looking for something closer . Michigan had hundreds of places, pa is a little more challenging.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Duck365 Im not being smart or anything,but as you can see spots are very limited and alot of hunters don't respect other hunters spots so I don't think your going to get many responds to your post. People have tried to help other people out and they wind up stealing there spots out from under them. I just ran into that very thing this year with a couple guys that were crying they didn't have any places for geese. So I took them there on a promise they didn't go back without me and what do you know I drive an hr and a half one way to get there at 5am and see some lights in the field I go out and its the same bums I took out last year. They didn't have permission to be there let alone drive in his fields after it rained for 2 days. You might get a couple of guys pm you and offer to take you out, but don't hold your breathe. Most of the guys on here have spent a pile of money and time to find there spots and they are sacred. If you were closer to me I would tell you all my old spots as I don't hunt ducks much anymore because of the reasons mentioned above. Welcome to Pa and HPA forum. Don't take me the wrong way please as I get along with everybody and hunt with several great guys on here. I hope someone shows you some spots and there are still some good people out there.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I'm sure you'll get plenty of good tips on the internet. It would be a little better if you had a Son who wants to kill a duck.
Guess the best tip would be to look where ever there's some water.
Geesh, where do these guys come from. Your first post is asking for a local spot.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
you're within an hour of some of the best duck/goose hunting in PA...and most of it is public land, trouble is, the crowds are there also....and Presque Isle bay in Erie can be real good also...check around Pymatuning/Hartstown/Geneva, etc, a lot of game lands with nothing but water and more water....nothing wrong with Moraine either....or Shenango....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand and appreciate it, no offense taken. Perhaps my first post should have been different. I look forward to talking with all and enjoy being around other waterfowl enthusiasts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't mean to offend anyone, you are right, my first post probably should not have been on such a sensitive subject.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Don't sweat it.
My guess is In MI it wasn't quite as sensitive a topic.
Pa stinks that way.More hunters than ducks.It won't compare to where you came from.JimmieT sent you the right direction.
Or you could field hunt geese we have alot of them.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
SGL 95 is a waste of time. Once the opener comes and goes, the duckks get blown off the lake.

If you're in butler, you don't have to go far to find ducks and some secluded spots. Here's a good tip. Don't think big, think small areas and small water.

·
Registered
455 Posts
In the PA hunting digest there is an application for a blind at Pymatunning. They have a lottery and draw winners each year in September. The blinds are for geese. It is a lot of fun if you are picked.

There is also water there for duck hunting. I never did that, so I can't tell you much about it. If you got directions for the Hartstown PA Game Commission building, I am sure you could stop there and talk to some of the staff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts