The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some hiking up on Red Rock Mt. today & found this in Mehoopany Creek.

Looks like some kind of testing being done. I've never ever seen a rig like that before. Any body have the skinny on this?

Also there were a lot of the below pictured berries along one of the roads. Small plants tight to the ground. They are not low bush blueberries. Any body on this?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm thinking it may be true cranberry (not high bush which is really a vibernum). Was it in a wet area or a acid bog? that would be the right habitat. Up in the Adirondacks, we have a lot of it near rivers and ponds.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i'm wondering if the thing in the stream is a place for hatching fish eggs? Would give the flow of water needed for brook trout eggs, and the tarp over it may be to give some shade and lower the temp of the eggs? Hope somebody has the right answer, as it makes me curious.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i'm wondering if the thing in the stream is a place for hatching fish eggs? Would give the flow of water needed for brook trout eggs, and the tarp over it may be to give some shade and lower the temp of the eggs? Hope somebody has the right answer, as it makes me curious.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
clermont said:
Teaberry?

I'm sure it's not teaberry, I am familar with teaberry & have eaten a lot of them.
Farflung may be right. I was thinking is may be some form of cranberry. The plants were along a road that is near a bog & the road is wet in several places. There were a lot of bear droppings in the area but the plants & berries don't seem to be bothered. The berries are not ripe yet so that may make a difference.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Interesting, and I do not know. However, when I was a kid one of my budies dads was kind of a nut and a practical joker. He would take any of us who were willing on hikes and almost always leave something on the trail that was bogus. Nothing that is as complex as what is in that stream but things like an oddly arranged group of sticks or charcoal drawings on large rocks. This contraption may be something along that line of thinking.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Is it just me or do the round things look like clay birds?
look to be marked with a "C" or "S" and a similar arrangement at the far right in the first pic.
IDK,something to track sediment levels?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jimsdad said:
I thought they looked more like frizbees and your'e right about that repeat performance over there on the right.
I thought they might be hatching baby space ships!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts