The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the ramp game and I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but is anyone out there willing to give me a general area (i.e. Wexford game lands, Moraine, etc.) where they have had some success finding ramps? I've been looking but not finding.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Be careful where you pick. I believe that picking entire plants on state park property is forbidden. Same might be true for game lands. Just make sure you verify before you go.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

This is what a ramp looks like.

As stated in the post above, it's illegal to pick anything from State Parks, Game Lands and State Forests.

Your best bet is to look for mature standing hardwood forests. I always find them growing on hillsides. The picture below in on an east facing slope and was always told by the old timers to look for south or east facing slopes but there are a bunch of patches around my house on a north facing slope. Ramps like loamy type soil where you would find black cohosh, blood root or ginseng.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I'm not so sure its illegal to harvest from game lands.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It's legal to pick mushrooms and Berries on the gamelands, not sure if you can dig ramps though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts