The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost my old reliable folder i used for all my hunting needs. Looking to get new one(s). Needs for skinning, gutting, and processing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Like Ron said, "hard to beat a Buck" Here are just three of the one I have. Bottom is a skinner, middle is a gut hook, and top is general purpose.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Skinning and gutting I use a havalon with the size 60 (I think) blades...look like a traditional knife blade..

Processing I have a couple dexter Russel filet knives I use...I'd like to add a little smaller/stiffer one this season now that I'm thinking about it...it'd be a little hanider than my 10-12" blades..

I have a bunch of traditional pocket knives..cases and bucks. But don't usually use them much anymore...

·
Registered
233 Posts
A lot of people like the Benchmade Griptilian. There's a 3.45 inch drop point version that would suit all your needs.

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
I really like Havalon knives. Saw them first used in Utah while on a hunt some years ago.Skinned a lot of moose with them in Newfoundland . I ran one through my thumb last year cutting windpipe inside a deer's chest. Wasn't the knife's fault.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here's my method: Get some 400, 600, 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper. Fix it to the top of an old mousepad and gently drag your blade towards the spine and down. You don't need more pressure than the weight of your knife. After you're done sharpening at 1000 or 1500 grit, use a leather strop loaded with some kind of stropping compound to get it hair popping sharp.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Havalon for gutting and skinning. For boning and/or skinning a Victorinox flex blade 6". Both can be purchased from Cabela's. Those Dexter knife are a good option as well. I've skinned a pile of critter with them as well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Don't forget the custom makers out there. You will find a lot of folks that make high quality knives, if you are looking for a heirloom, look for a knife maker in your area you may be amazed what you find

Ross

1 - 13 of 13 Posts