The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know very, very little about Weatherby. With that said, I just purchased a used Weatherby Vanguard (black synthetic stock) in a 300 Win Mag. Came with box and papers. Scope and rings were removed. Previous owner reports he purchased it right before deer season and fired about a box through it to sight it in. Has some very minor handling marks.

Is this gun a keeper? What is approximate worth? Yes, I already looked on gunbroker, but those prices don't always hold true depending on location.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
705 Posts
The Vanguard is made by Howa in Japan for Weatherby. The Howa barreled action is solid and well made. If your Vanguard is a series 2 it has an improved trigger over the previous series. Overall a very well built, and good shooting rifle.

I have a series 1 Vanguard in 257wby with a black syn stock. I had the metal cerakoted and trigger work done. It is a great shooter and my most used hunting rifle. Very satisfied with it. It's definitely a keeper.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If it's a series 1 the trigger might need some fine tuning, but if you're satisfied with it, leave it alone. I'm particular about triggers, so I had mine done. If it doesn't have the rubber grip inserts in the synthetic stock, it is a series 1. Remington 700 scope bases will work on the Vanguard.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Weatherby rifles are guaranteed sub moa out of the box. As far as "worth" gunbroker is about right for monetary value. But a good gun is priceless and I'd say you've got a keeper. But I'm a little biased. I too have a series 1 in 25-06 and love it. My buddy just got a S2 in 7mm08, and it's got me wanting one.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
I am really wanting an S2 with the walnut stock and blued barrel. Just need the $$$. That always seems to be the way

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a vanguard vgx deluxe in a 243. Bought it new in 1993. That rifle has shot lots of groundhogs throughout the years. Got my share of deer with it too. Very accurate. I do have to add if I was drafted to be a sniper I take her with me LOL.

My dream rifle was a mark v deluxe in a 308. 3 years ago I bought one. Topped it off with a vx3 scope. The vanguard I retired it up till this year. I had the bolt redone which was a recall. It sat in the gun cabinet after the repairs were done.

This season I took her out to the range and noticed the safety creeps forward. Usually clicks forward. Would not fire. So i checked the primer it was not punched. It acted as it was on safe. No nothing. I chambered another round and had no issues afterwards. 25 shots or so.

The first saturday rifle season. My son and i were watching a wide open field. 4 doe's walking slowly as they were feeding. My son challenged me to shoot the big doe out there 250 yards or so. I had a good solid rest and the trigger did not squeeze. Oh oh not again. I was done for the day. I was not into it. Did not trust the rifle.

Took it home and did research on line and learn the trigger needs replace. timney makes a trigger for that and my son ask me. You sure you want to put $130.00 plus gunsmith labor into it? You betcha!!

As for the mark V? I say this to co workers and friends and family. The vanguard was made in Japan. The mark V made in USA. The difference is the vanguard will out shoot the mark v any day.

I also add I have a browning a bolt med. in a 284. It shoots very well. Cuts bullet holes and it was made in Japan. I have several rifles same calibers and they don't shoot as good as the vanguard made in Japan or the A bolt.

If you have a vanguard made in Japan you got a winner. My Dad had a vanguard in 300 Wby mag. classic. That was a one heck of a fine shooting rifle. I can't say that with weatherby's made in USA. Again this is base on my experience with weatherby's made in Japan and USA. The new vanguard s2. I overlook them. I don't care for them. Yes I handled a few and work the action. I was not thrilled.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I have owned Weatherby rifles for a good many years and agree the "Vanguard" is a good rifle but it's no "Mark V".

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have a .270 VGX that I've been using for 15 years. Not only is it a beautiful rifle but it shoots excellent. I can shoot MOA groups with it all day long. I also have .257 Wby in both Vanguard and Mark V. They are all excellent rifles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts