The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finaly got a tracking snow and found abundance of grey fox tracks.Road the roads and found them every 500 to 1000 yds. in our dense briar swamps.Only shooting is on the dirt road.Thinking getting a few feet off the ground with a climber stand.No luck last night,fell 2 times on ice so will have to wait for safer cond. over 60 don"t bounce up like I used to.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Dont worry about a climber they are too loud and take too long to move. I use a 6ft wooden step ladder that I camo painted and nailed a turkey pad to. I use a mono pod for the rifle but the shotgun not nessisary. its not heavy and it will run you 10$ ill post you a picture of mine.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Plus if you get tired of using it just stick it in tye brush, I lived outside of pheniox az, and everybody in az uses ladders... never seen anyone around here but me use it, I was gonna start a thread about it but the cats outta the bag now, haha oh well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just set one up with a pad on top,feels good.Easy for me to use.Look forward to tying it.Like the idea of getting off the ground a little.will be able to look down into the briars.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Good, it should deffinitly help you see them coming in. They dont tend to look up as much as you think. Mine is actually a 5fter now... had it outside and today I went to check it out agian first step and the bottom of the leg snaped.. so I just sawed it off and put new braces in the back. My ladder was free. I also cut the ends off to a sharper point for the dirt. I also nailed a peice of groundhog fur (tanned) to tue leg where I somtimes put skunk oil cover scent on it. If you do that critters dont stand a chance in the brush lol. Good luck! also how long does your fur takers season run in nj? and are coyote year round?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our night season runs Jan 1 til march 15. We can hunt coyote and fox day time Nov.12 til march 15.Was out today and found where two groups of coyotes came together in a swamp,mating or fighting don"t know the tracks were in circles stamping down a 6ft. circle in the snow.Pretty cool.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Wow thats always cool, they are deffinitly packed up now in this freezing cold, I had a group of what sounded like a dozen howling back at me last night after plaing yip howl and deer dist. wich I never do bit figired id go crazy cause it was super late. And I knew they were around. two more pack in tye distance from either direction went off back to them telling me there may be some 30 or so just in this large chain of feilds. they are alwats on this ridge that runs for half mile and I mean walk up it tye flat about 20ft then down the otger side. so for some reason I cannot get them into the open. although this was half a mile from where I killed one last week so, bt hige open areas are hard in my opinion. Too bad nj doesnt have a 24 367 war on coyotes although I dont normaly hunt them in the summer, I start in sept but a friend got two while groundhog hunting in the summer last year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts