The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the few species of land furbearers in PA I have yet to catch is a gray fox. Dont have any sizable populations that I know of here in SEPA and I actually havent heard of anyone catching or shooting one near here.

That being said I am planning on making an effort to catch one this season. Weather permitting sometime around Christmas/New Years time I would like to take a couple day trip to set a line. Willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the state and stay in a hotel for a few days to run a line.

Any help with possible locations and/or tips on targeting them would be greatly appreciated.

Have a half dozen MB450s and a few dozen Bridger 1.75 O/S and regular jaws that I figure would be ideal for grays.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I used to get quite a bit calling them but probably haven't called in 10 years
Alot of places I used to get them are developed now.
I'm in the city of Scranton and have a lot of grays within city limits.They love industrial parks.
You can start by locating public land right outside the city
Sgl 091off Aston mountain road
Lackawanna state forest and Pinchot State Forest should hold a decent grey population and there's quite a few fishers

·
Registered
534 Posts
Every year I talk about doing same thing for fisher but have yet to do it.

Try calling PGC. A few years ago I called and talked to one of their furbearer guys about fishers and he was very helpful. That might help you decide what part of the state or which SGL/state forest to target.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies so far guys, much appreciated! Certainly not looking to be told anyones "honey hole", just to be pointed to an area that is known to hold a decent population to increase my odds since it will only be a couple day line.

That being said I am a pretty competant Red Fox trapper, but have always been told you have to approach greys different. Im researching alot but any tips on set differences, types/locations, lures etc would also greatly assist this learning curve.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I plan to target greys after deer season too. I have read they really like bacon, found a bait recipe on Trapperman that everyone raves about. I might even try cheap pork rinds spread around. Big diggers they say, lots of guiding. I'm not a famed k9 trapper, just stuff I read.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far guys, much appreciated! Certainly not looking to be told anyones "honey hole", just to be pointed to an area that is known to hold a decent population to increase my odds since it will only be a couple day line.

That being said I am a pretty competant Red Fox trapper, but have always been told you have to approach greys different. Im researching alot but any tips on set differences, types/locations, lures etc would also greatly assist this learning curve.
You can crowd greys more and the love brushy areas. BTW, Bacon and Grape(if you can keep 'coons out)are very attractive.

Edit* I didn't see the bacon mention in post above.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan to target greys after deer season too. I have read they really like bacon, found a bait recipe on Trapperman that everyone raves about. I might even try cheap pork rinds spread around. Big diggers they say, lots of guiding. I'm not a famed k9 trapper, just stuff I read.

Thanks for sharing that Joe, think a batch is going to be made up this weekend!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
My BIL was big into fox calling several years ago, and he told me that every few years he would see gray foxes a lot. But then he wouldnt see any for a couple years. Competing for territory with red foxes?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
A grey fox territory is much smaller than reds. Grey fox can be over harvested in an area. Leaving it with no seed stock. It can take a few years to restock if available stock can support it. I really like the greys. We used to have plenty.
Wood Window Building Sky Facade

The Fox pro Boys, as I call them, have wiped out many areas of greys.

Reactions: Jericho

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts

I can already picture the bear waiting for me in the #2 Bridger.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Haven't caught any greys yet this season however I haven't trapped the woods yet. In my area, that's were I seem to do the best on greyfox. Old logging roads are hotspots that lead to or are coming out of thick cover.

I have caught almost all of mine on dirt holes with a good quality bait down the hole. I also have caught one on a rubset. They act alot like a cat. Rubsets also produce alot less non targets.II caught that grey on a greyfox lure that dobbins makes called "ol grey buzzard". Plan on using it even more this late season.

I almost always find that grey's like to run in pairs. If you catch one, there is a great chance you will have the other the next night or soon after.

Trap selection sounds good, imo most grey's fight a trap more than most other critters caught. They are a awesome to catch and make some of the craziest sounds!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts